Brand new laptop, games are totally unplayable

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
I have a file called "08_nVidiaVGA_W10.zip" in my PCS downloads.

You probably need something similar unless it's a case of missing PCS downloads.

ive extracted the file, inside has an installer. i clicked that but got the same compatibility error as normal. Then i extracted the folder within, clicked setup and that worked, but really quickly? no idea what ive just installed.

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
More searching has found that it's a MSI GPU.

Apparently ASUS has the same card. I would probably give that driver a go if there isn't one available from PCS. It seems that particular driver package is OEM only, hence why you can't see it on the Nvidia site.

didnt work unfortunately! Time to start packing up I think. collection is booked for Wednesday.

I mean ultimately, I shouldn't really have to be doing any of this! It should work seamlessly. Will send it back and see what they say.

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
More searching has found that it's a MSI GPU.

Apparently ASUS has the same card. I would probably give that driver a go if there isn't one available from PCS. It seems that particular driver package is OEM only, hence why you can't see it on the Nvidia site.

So is there any clarification on this?

My spec states Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, not MSI ? Packing it all up now! Hopefully this can be sorted soon.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
MSI is just the brand. There are many different brands of card all using the NVidia architecture.

It so happens that the MXM style cards being used across Dell, HP, etc are MSI :)

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I have my laptop back now and so far it runs perfectly fine.

Comments from PCS:

" After I received your system I confirmed the issue you have been experiencing. I found that the GPU had developed a fault and needed replacing, due to the age of your system I instead replaced the entire chassis and re-installed Windows."

Thanks to all forthe help I received here and PCS did a fine job of sorting it out so promptly

Last edited: