Brand new laptop, games are totally unplayable

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Agreed, well all I can say is thank you for your prompt responses and help so far!

I've submitted a request for RMA and I'll give them a call tomorrow.
I’m sorry we couldn’t get to the bottom of it. Let us know how you get on, I’m really intrigued by what’s going on here.

Well done though, you mentioned you were fairly new to all this but you followed advice extremely well!

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
I’m sorry we couldn’t get to the bottom of it. Let us know how you get on, I’m really intrigued by what’s going on here.

Well done though, you mentioned you were fairly new to all this but you followed advice extremely well!
they told me its the driver thats the problem and nvidia should be releasing an update soon...but dont think theres anything wrong with the laptop/OS.

(theyve not looked at it or gained remote access yet..)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
they told me its the driver thats the problem and nvidia should be releasing an update soon...but dont think theres anything wrong with the laptop/OS.

(theyve not looked at it or gained remote access yet..)
It's quite possibly the case as we have done a full reinstall.

I guess you could try wiping with DDU again and installing an older version.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you go to the nvidia driver page and then to the "beta and older drivers" section near the bottom of this image:

1589791287039.png

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
My bad, yes, you're right, don't see why they list it in the legacy drivers section, this is the previous:

I tried again and that didn't work, same compatibility error for the old driver. It's being collected on Wednesday so for now I think I've exhausted all options. RMA approved so they'll have a look and see what they can deduce.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had an absolute NIGHTMARE with Nvidia drivers a while back. I'm wondering if it's the same problem where M$ tries to install some factory style driver.

In the end up I had to switch off my network connectivity, manually uninstall the Windows version of the driver (Fully, deleting it) and then it would allow me to update using the installer. It was claiming incompatibility with the installer prior to that.

I even tried doing it through the Geforce app and it was having none of it.

Other than that..... stupid question time..... you are gaming with the power supply plugged in and you have it in performance mode for power?

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
I had an absolute NIGHTMARE with Nvidia drivers a while back. I'm wondering if it's the same problem where M$ tries to install some factory style driver.

In the end up I had to switch off my network connectivity, manually uninstall the Windows version of the driver (Fully, deleting it) and then it would allow me to update using the installer. It was claiming incompatibility with the installer prior to that.

I even tried doing it through the Geforce app and it was having none of it.

Other than that..... stupid question time..... you are gaming with the power supply plugged in and you have it in performance mode for power?
HI,

Yes high performance mode plugged in and turbo mode set in gaming centre.

I have wiped the drivers using DDU with internet turned off then tried to install the drivers but again, same compatibility error.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm not convinced it's the driver regardless to be honest. The older driver wouldn't cause stuttering, it would still perform just fine.... especially with low settings.

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not convinced it's the driver regardless to be honest. The older driver wouldn't cause stuttering, it would still perform just fine.... especially with low settings.
Yeah that's what I said to them. I still find it weird the driver version installed is not listed anywhere as a previous version...i asked about that but didnt really get an answer

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just before the collection......

Could you wipe the system once more. You don't need to create partitions, you need to delete them (All of them) at the time of installation. Once you have one big drive showing, select it and allow Windows setup to create the partitions on its own.

Once the reformat is done, connect it up to the network (LAN or Wireless, whichever is easiest for you to configure).

Don't download or install anything from Nvidia, just update via Windows. Once the updates have gone as far as they can, check the Intel website for the latest chipset drivers. Install them, and then re-check for windows updates.

Ensure you have a driver running for your GPU, install a game and give it a go.

Don't turn on turbo mode, performance mode or anything else. Just completely bare stock configuration with nothing changed at all. As much as you will get reduced performance it should still perform admirably. This ensures there's no software interfering with the system.

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
Just before the collection......

Could you wipe the system once more. You don't need to create partitions, you need to delete them (All of them) at the time of installation. Once you have one big drive showing, select it and allow Windows setup to create the partitions on its own.

Once the reformat is done, connect it up to the network (LAN or Wireless, whichever is easiest for you to configure).

Don't download or install anything from Nvidia, just update via Windows. Once the updates have gone as far as they can, check the Intel website for the latest chipset drivers. Install them, and then re-check for windows updates.

Ensure you have a driver running for your GPU, install a game and give it a go.

Don't turn on turbo mode, performance mode or anything else. Just completely bare stock configuration with nothing changed at all. As much as you will get reduced performance it should still perform admirably. This ensures there's no software interfering with the system.

i wonder if these have anything to do with it...

Attachments

• things.PNG
    things.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 204

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's the chipset drivers. You need to update them from Intel.

That's not the GPU issue. The GPU issue is the one I described earlier regarding Windows trying to install the driver.

Someone with the same issue there.

Everything needs done in the correct order to resolve it.

You need to download the latest driver from Nvidia and copy it to your USB
Download the chipset drivers for your laptop and copy it to your USB
You need to completely wipe Windows
BEFORE connecting anything to the network install the Nvidia GPU drivers
Restart etc, do what needs to be done
Install the Chipset drivers, reboot. etc. do what needs to be done
Connect the system to the network and run all updates

That should give you a clean and updated system with all drivers current.

After that, install a game and give it a go.

hezzlington

Bronze Level Poster
That's the chipset drivers. You need to update them from Intel.

That's not the GPU issue. The GPU issue is the one I described earlier regarding Windows trying to install the driver.

Someone with the same issue there.

Everything needs done in the correct order to resolve it.

You need to download the latest driver from Nvidia and copy it to your USB
Download the chipset drivers for your laptop and copy it to your USB
You need to completely wipe Windows
BEFORE connecting anything to the network install the Nvidia GPU drivers
Restart etc, do what needs to be done
Install the Chipset drivers, reboot. etc. do what needs to be done
Connect the system to the network and run all updates

That should give you a clean and updated system with all drivers current.

After that, install a game and give it a go.
Okay, on it now.

Just wondering, I can re-use the bootable USB to re-install windows again? Or do i need to make a fresh one