Bread

Stephen M

Author Level
Experimented with some bread today, turned out very nice.

Roasted garlic, chestnut mushrooms and red capsicum in a mixture of butter, tahini, sea salt and tarragon. When that had cooled put in bowl and added water, flour, yeast as in standard dough.

The dough hook on my Kenwood is among my most useful kitchen tools.

Stephen M

Author Level
Thought I would add that while the dough hook is superb, there is also the fact the kneading dough can be a tremendously therapeutic excercise.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! I've been loving bread recently. Not experimented with flavours yet but I am currently churning out 1-2 sourdough loaf out a week.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have been experimenting quite a bit with different ingredients lately, including some sweet doughs.

Did up a mix of dried papaya and pineapple with some fresh pineapple to moisten the dried fruit before mixing, that was very nice, as was the cranberry and cashew loaf.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Here's a bread I made using leftover yogurt, some honey and chopped walnuts. I went with a flour roux method to help give it a lighter finish.
Other ingredients included butter, dried yeast, salt, milk and eggs.

It took a total of 10 hours to prove, which I've knocked back the dough 3 times.

It turned out to be slightly sweet and balanced with a slight hint of sourness from the yogurt. I served it sliced, toasted with a little drizzle of honey on top.

IMG_20210316_031037_134_compress20.jpg
IMG_20210316_031037_112_compress9.jpg
IMG_20210316_031037_073_compress53.jpg
IMG_20210316_031037_040_compress63.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
A simple but very enjoyable breakfast today. My mushroom bread toasted and topped with scrambled egg.

Next step will be to get some more truffles. I love truffle scrambled egg with smoked salmon. Usually have granary bread toasted with that but will try with the mushroom bread this time.

Stephen M

Author Level
Another sweet dough today. Mixed some dried Pineapple and Papaya with tinned Lychees (fresh ones much better but wanted the juice) added some Cinnamon then mixed as a normal dough.

Formed into small buns then drizzled Maple syrup over, that went crunchy and made for a great topping.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Nice! I've been loving bread recently. Not experimented with flavours yet but I am currently churning out 1-2 sourdough loaf out a week.
Any chance you would post your recipe and instructions for your starter @moosEh ? I've been pondering making Sourdough for a while as I absolutely love it - but dealing with the starter for a full week has put me off!! I imagine churning out a regular supply of loaves is the way to do it really?

I've been making some Portuguese bread lately - reminding of the holidays I can't go on!! - not quite the type you usually get at a restaraunt in the the Algrave as a cover when you first sit down - it's more traditional and basic - but it's just gorgeous too!!

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance you would post your recipe and instructions for your starter @moosEh ? I've been pondering making Sourdough for a while as I absolutely love it - but dealing with the starter for a full week has put me off!! I imagine churning out a regular supply of loaves is the way to do it really?

I've been making some Portuguese bread lately - reminding of the holidays I can't go on!! - not quite the type you usually get at a restaraunt in the the Algrave as a cover when you first sit down - it's more traditional and basic - but it's just gorgeous too!!
Honestly it took nearly 3 weeks for my starter to hit full force but I think thats because the house I rent is quite drafty and cold so it was a slow burner!

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Honestly it took nearly 3 weeks for my starter to hit full force but I think thats because the house I rent is quite drafty and cold so it was a slow burner!
Yes it seems there is no way around the (relatively) labour intensive requirements of sourdough! I keep hoping to find a one day starter breakthrough - but I am accepting that just won’t happen!

Stephen M

Author Level
Love sourdough and once found a decent simple kit for it, very basic was just a pre-prepared dried yeast mix and some flour but loaf was quite nice.

Bad news is that was a few years back and only found the stuff on sale in Australia.