British Wrestling (BritWres)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Not sure if there are any fans of pro wrestling on here (not entirely convinced pro wrestling is even a sport, so may not belong in the sport forum), but here we are. Having grown up watching WWF/WWE but not enjoying what their product has become over the last couple of years, I started watching the British wrestling scene and came across a lot of wrestlers doing their thing at an indie level that I've enjoyed watching online.

The #SpeakingOut movement in the summer hit hard as quite a few people I'd come to respect were outted as abusers and that shook my interest in wrestling for a while. One concept that WWE introduced that I thought was interesting was the idea of a cinematic match, where matches took place away from the wrestling ring and essentially shot like a film, so they could show segments not possible in a regular match and I guess re-shoot certain spots that didn't happen quite right. A group of some of the bigger names in the current BritWres scene came together and put together a cinematic match which they aired last night - it's a big gruesome and more than a little off the wall, but I enjoyed it, so figured I'd share it here.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I used to like wrestling back in the day, saw the likes of big daddy, kendo nagasaki, giant haystacks, mick mcmanus etc live more than once

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That’s not British wrestling!

This is British wrestling...

EADC5ED0-5BED-4469-A229-F4B6952A92EE.jpeg

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
The likes of Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki & Mick McManus came to mind when I saw the title.
That period in the 70s and 80s with the above names on World of Sport every week was pretty much the golden age of British wrestling. There's probably a similar depth of quality in the current British wrestling scene, but there's not the same level of exposure unless you're already a fan of the companies and so paying for their subscription services or watching their channels on Youtube.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That period in the 70s and 80s with the above names on World of Sport every week was pretty much the golden age of British wrestling. There's probably a similar depth of quality in the current British wrestling scene, but there's not the same level of exposure unless you're already a fan of the companies and so paying for their subscription services or watching their channels on Youtube.
Was regular viewing at 4:00 PM of a saturday afternoon

Stephen M

Author Level
One of the best descriptions I have heard for pro wrestling is: "Adult pantomime."

Giant Haystacks was an interesting character, he was a lover of and very knowledgeable about opera.

Kent Walton was fun as a commentator, he managed to do it as if it was all genuine, although I have heard stories that he would argue and refuse to back down to anyone claiming it was acted.

Another interesting story from that time which I cannot verify but have heard from sources I trust was that when the acting union was a closed shop aspiring actors in need of an Equity Card could get one by pro wrestling or stripping.

Apologies for the rather sordid idea of Haystacks or Daddy doing the latter.

Arvind

Not sure if there are any fans of pro wrestling on here (not entirely convinced pro wrestling is even a sport, so may not belong in the sport forum), but here we are. Having grown up watching WWF/WWE but not enjoying what their product has become over the last couple of years, I started watching the British wrestling scene and came across a lot of wrestlers doing their thing at an indie level that I've enjoyed watching online.

The #SpeakingOut movement in the summer hit hard as quite a few people I'd come to respect were outted as abusers and that shook my interest in wrestling for a while. One concept that WWE introduced that I thought was interesting was the idea of a cinematic match, where matches took place away from the wrestling ring and essentially shot like a film, so they could show segments not possible in a regular match and I guess re-shoot certain spots that didn't happen quite right. A group of some of the bigger names in the current BritWres scene came together and put together a cinematic match which they aired last night - it's a big gruesome and more than a little off the wall, but I enjoyed it, so figured I'd share it here.

Crowley! That was superb. I donated to that and got my name in IMDB! I marked out totally for Dan Moloney and Cara Noir!

Arvind

Anyone see Noir v Ridgeway - 30min Iron Man Match from PROGRESS Chapter 121? Ruddy hell... and the tag title match from the same chapter - Lykos Gym v Smoking Aces!! Mate, what a match!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Anyone see Noir v Ridgeway - 30min Iron Man Match from PROGRESS Chapter 121? Ruddy hell... and the tag title match from the same chapter - Lykos Gym v Smoking Aces!! Mate, what a match!
I let my WWE Network subscription go a while back, so missed those matches. I've seen Twitter raving about them though!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
been watching AEW, pretty good at the mo, US not uk

Out of the companies large enough to do a weekly show, AEW are the one I watch most frequently. I have a subscription to Powered4TV which is 8 quid a month and has a lot of different companies signed up to it. My favourite company are probably my local one, TNT Extreme Wrestling, as they have a mix of styles although they tend to be more on the hardcore/deathmatch end of things!