BSOD issues on new PC

tbate

Hi,

Not really too tech savvy, I've had some issues since purchasing a new Custom PC, so far it's occurred 4/5 times only had the PC 3 weeks max.

Typical stop code errors have been memory management and stop code system service exception.

I have run a memory diagnostics from the windows menu, and it didn't come back with any faults. The Systems Service exception is the newest one and I'm really stumped on how to find out whats wrong.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance :)

tbate

I will get the dump files later tonight, if i can work out how or where. I'm hoping as simple the event viewer.

for the Hardware see below, again thanks for the help:

Case CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 280X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi AC (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Helpful tips from the brain known as @ubuysa

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I will get the dump files later tonight, if i can work out how or where. I'm hoping as simple the event viewer.

The dump should be in C:Windows\MEMORY.dmp, upload it to the cloud somewhere and post a link to it here. I'll take a look tomorrow. :)

tbate

The dump should be in C:Windows\MEMORY.dmp, upload it to the cloud somewhere and post a link to it here. I'll take a look tomorrow. :)

So this seems the most appropriate location based on the suggestion - C:\Windows\minidump do you want all the files or just the most recent?
Thanks for taking a look for me :)
Theres only 5 files in there so i assume they are all from the crashes

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So this seems the most appropriate location based on the suggestion - do you want all teh files or just the most recent?
Thanks for taking a look for me :)
There should normally be only one memory.dmp file but if there's more than one just upload the most recent.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
These minidumps all point to a hardware issue I'm afraid. :(

081020-7562-01.dmp is a corrupt PTE (that's a page table entry and it indicates a critical failure in memory management)
081320-9953-01.dmp is a corruption whilst reading the hibernate file - that might suggest a drive error, but since it's the only one I think it's most likely related to the other (memory related) minidumps
081520-7390-01.dmp is another corrupt PTE
081620-7140-01.dmp is another corrupt PTE
081820-7000-01.dmp is a system service exception from chrome.exe, but the exception code (0xc0000005) indicates a memory error (buffer overrun or invalid address etc.)

The common denominator here is memory (RAM) but you've had a clean Memtest run and you've done a clean install of Windows, so this is almost certainly some sort of hardware (probably motherboard) problem. I would contact PCS, point them to this thread and specifically to these minidumps and ask to RMA it for a hardware problem.

tbate

These minidumps all point to a hardware issue I'm afraid. :(

081020-7562-01.dmp is a corrupt PTE (that's a page table entry and it indicates a critical failure in memory management)
081320-9953-01.dmp is a corruption whilst reading the hibernate file - that might suggest a drive error, but since it's the only one I think it's most likely related to the other (memory related) minidumps
081520-7390-01.dmp is another corrupt PTE
081620-7140-01.dmp is another corrupt PTE
081820-7000-01.dmp is a system service exception from chrome.exe, but the exception code (0xc0000005) indicates a memory error (buffer overrun or invalid address etc.)

The common denominator here is memory (RAM) but you've had a clean Memtest run and you've done a clean install of Windows, so this is almost certainly some sort of hardware (probably motherboard) problem. I would contact PCS, point them to this thread and specifically to these minidumps and ask to RMA it for a hardware problem.

Damn, as much as that sucks it would probably be much worse if you hadn't helped out. Thank you!

I'll reach out to PCS, today and look to get it sorted. Thankfully I'm fairly local so I can drive up and drop it off.

tbate

So i've spoken with PCS, they have advised i remove the Ram 2x8 and use 1 switch slots to see if it continues in each set up 4 different patterns just to see if it's as easy as replacing the Ram or not. Not the most comfortable doing this, but I'm sure a you tube video will instruct me on how to do this, quite well.

But 1 thing is plaguing my mind, the first time I got the BSOD issue i googled the Stopcode and 1 of the potential issues it said it could be was having too Apps basically trying to do the same thing. This rings a bell to me as, for seem reason I have 3 different ways or running my games. Through Steam obviously but also the Nvida game optimizer thingy that comes with the GPU and I have a Razor headset which auto downloaded their game optimizer thingy.

Could it really be that simple as that or do the dump files rule that out.

Note* i don't really try run these at the same time but for all I know they could be running in the background.

Sorry, this might be a really dumb question i just cant push it out of my brain for some reason.

The fella I spoke to at PCS was really helpful btw for anyone else reading, a long waiting time (1hr) but they offered to talk me through removing the RAM etc to help me out which is likely the reason, good service tends to come with long waiting times. 100% advise just putting up with the call time for anyone with similar issues they want to fix quickly particularly if you're clueless like me.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Swapping the RAM around is a very sensible move. You're trying to see whether one stick is flaky and that may take some time, so give each stick a good long go at failing before you assume it's good.

The PTE errors are not the result of running similar game optimising apps. I seriously doubt the others are either.

That said, when troubleshooting you want the simplest system you can get, so it would be worth closing as many applications as you can live without for a while - ideally you just want basic Windows running. The KISS principle applies; Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

tbate

Swapping the RAM around is a very sensible move. You're trying to see whether one stick is flaky and that may take some time, so give each stick a good long go at failing before you assume it's good.

The PTE errors are not the result of running similar game optimising apps. I seriously doubt the others are either.

That said, when troubleshooting you want the simplest system you can get, so it would be worth closing as many applications as you can live without for a while - ideally you just want basic Windows running. The KISS principle applies; Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

Thanks for your help again! Sounds like it was a silly question but one i couldn't help put ask.

Thanks again! Your advise is duly noted and will be put into use.

On the bright side I now have an excuse for excessive gaming, as I need to test the PC. I dont think the missus can argue with that one 🤣

I'll leave this thread alone for now, and post the final resolution once I get there.

tbate

So the latest update is not a good one:

So I removed the first Ram stick, and didn't have any issues for a while. I did have a failed start-up but that seemed strange because that wasn't the previous issues although after a google still seemed memory related when I found the Corresponding Event. This then happened again today, so I removed the Ram stick and moved it into the next slot.

Since then i had to use all other Ram combinations, and in all three it's failed to start-up and more beyond that it's no longer sending any image to the monitor, the back lights are not lighting up, nor is the mouse.

not entirely sure how changing the Ram slots causes this level of system failure but it can't be good and I cant even retrieve the Dump files or anything at this point.

Frustrating to say the least, I was rather optimistic that this could have been as simple as faulty Ram. Currently on Hold with PCS to see next steps.

Rakk

The Awesome
Hopefully it will get sorted soon, if its not as simple as swapping the RAM you will probably have to send it back to be looked at.
With any luck you wont have to wait on hold for too long and then they'll sort out a plan of action.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm afraid that sounds to me as though an RMA is the way forward. It could for example, be the memory controller on the motherboard.

I would speak to PCS again and get it RMAd, I think you've done all the troubleshooting you can.

Sorry I don't have better news. :(

tbate

Thanks for the advice above.
So I just got off the phone, they wont to avoid returning it for repair atm so they're sending me 2 new Ram sticks to see if anything changes from there with that.

I'm not sure of the validity of that, as I'm quite doubtful much will change based on the advice above, however I have bowed down to the superior experience the fellow I spoke to obviously has, given I'm not too tech savvy. So we'll see how this goes. The new Ram should arrive Wednesday.

Little concerned about the 3-4 weeks wait on repairs I was warned about also :/ I just wanted a new PC to see me through Furlough :(

tbate

That seems like a reasonable thing to do. While it sounds like it's not the RAM sticks, better to rule it out for certain with new sticks than send it back for weeks on an RMA for it to turn out to be a RAM stick failure, especially given the RMA wait times currently

Fair point, thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'd expect the first thing PCS would do if you RMAd it would be to swap the RAM, so I guess it saves time and trouble if you do it. I'm not hopeful but you never know, it's worth a try. :)

tbate

Well another new update, something that baffles my mind. I got it working. The very first combination call it Ram slot 1 paired with Ram stick 1 and it turned on, seemed to struggle a little but it's on. Ganna see if there is any dump files and send em over to PCS.