BSOD, RAM issue?

Hey all. Bought my desktop about 4 years ago and been loving every minute of it. Recently I've been getting BSOD on a loop at start up with the error message saying PAGED FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. Little bit of research seems to point at memory issues. I've tried a different hard drive but no dice.

Any suggestions? anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
Little bit of research seems to point at memory issues. I've tried a different hard drive but no dice.
Having quickly looked, when its talking about memory, it's not talking about the harddrive, it's talking about the RAM, thus changing the hard drive wouldn't make any difference in this case.

The Non-Paged Area

The Non-Paged area is an area of memory that contains data that is critical for the running of the system. This data is always required, so instead of swapping the data back and forth between the RAM and the page file, the data is kept constantly active, in the non-paged area of RAM.

So it might be an issue with the RAM, but I'd wait for a response from someone who knows more about this, I only know what I briefly read in about 5 mins :)

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This BSOD is typically hardware (and often flaky RAM as Rakk says) but not exclusively. It can be caused by a faulty system service, other installed hardware, or even certain NTFS filesystem issues. The question you should be asking is what changed? You say "recently I've been getting....", so what changed prior to you getting these BSODs? It could be software installation, system config changes, changes to system services, hardware changes, etc.

It might be worth running chkdsk /f (or even /r) on the drive (backup your data first though) and then run a defrag on it.

If you have a restore point from before you started getting this issue it might be worth going back to that.

But the best solution is to identify what happened immediately prior to these BSODs......