BSOD's following windows update

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hi,

Looking for some help please.
Last night windows decided to update something as it was shutting down. I'm not sure what update it was as I wasnt particulary paying attention. After the update the PC shut down as normal.
I turned the PC on this afternoon and before I even got to the login screen, the screen went blue i got some sort of BSOD.
The PC restarted itself a few times and BSOD occured at the same place each time.
So i disconnected my external HDD (4tb WD elements) and the PC then booted into windows fine.
So i then tried to plug it back in again. I was intending to run some sort of Hard Drive check. But when i plugged the drive back in again, I had another BSOD within 5-10 seconds of the hdd spinning up.
I disconnected the HDD and restarted again. I ran a virus scan, via avast and malwearbytes nothing found. I also ran memtest - passed fine.

So everytime i plug the external hdd in (that worked before the windows update) it BSOD's.
-----
I then got out my old PCS laptop on a clean win 7 install, plugged the hdd and bingo the drive works perfectly fine.

Im at a loss as how to fix this, so any ideas would be great.
thanks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Okay, So i've managed to get this sorted.
I'll post how i did it incase anyone comes across this via a good search.

Basically, I went into to Device manager, universal serial bus controllers.
I then updated my Asmedia usb3.0 extensible host controller. - This may say Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller on other systems.
This seemed to fix it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Glad it's sorted! :clap:

This is a wonderful example of something I've been saying pretty much forever; drivers don't need updating - unless you have a problem with the device.

Clearly the vendor updated the driver to handle an upcoming change taking place in Windows. Whilst the OP didn't have the Windows update installed he didn't need the updated driver (and was safer and more stable running the old driver). When the Windows update was installed the device broke. Only then did the OP update the driver and that solved the problem. Perfect.

It's also an excellent example of how to troubleshoot problems like this, first disconnect the external devices (HDD) - the OP found the PC boots without it, then test the external HDD in another PC - the OP found it works, so it's a problem with this (working) HDD on this (working) PC. The driver is the first thing to check in this case and, since it' a USB device, update the USB driver. Sorted.

A logical, step-by-step approach that solved the problem and a lesson for everyone. Perfect. :)