Built, tested and ready for delivery... in less than 12 hours?!

Lord Arse!

Had 3 emails from PCS today to tell me that my computer is being built (7:30am) then testing and configuration (10:45am) and then ready for dispatch (6:30pm), all in under 12 hours!

Should I be slightly concerned that this has happened so quickly (don't get me wrong, I'm more than ready for my new rig!) or is all this fairly normal?

steaky360

I'd expect that its more likely an issue with the mailing system in that your PC had potentially physically moved onto the other stages of the build process but no one's pressed the button / scanned the thing or that the system is just a little slow.

Building is usually pretty fast, testing takes as long as it takes usually around 12-24 hours. It is possibly that all the tests were completed between 10:45 and 6:30 though. I guess unhelpfully I'm saying I don't know in this case :unsure:. I wouldn't worry though :).

SimMou

Lucky you. My system went into build on Day 20 (a day later than they’d been consistently telling me). Two hours later, it went into Test. Seven working days later, it’s still in Test and in all that time there hasn’t been a single message from the testing team about any issues. I know they have had plenty because after calling three times and spoken to advisers, they each get back (just the once) with vague tales or repeated crashes and trying new components. Nobody takes ownership for keeping me informed. Nobody tells me what the plan of action is. Nobody thinks from the perspective of the customer about what information would be useful.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Lucky you. My system went into build on Day 20 (a day later than they’d been consistently telling me). Two hours later, it went into Test. Seven working days later, it’s still in Test and in all that time there hasn’t been a single message from the testing team about any issues. I know they have had plenty because after calling three times and spoken to advisers, they each get back (just the once) with vague tales or repeated crashes and trying new components. Nobody takes ownership for keeping me informed. Nobody tells me what the plan of action is. Nobody thinks from the perspective of the customer about what information would be useful.
I have no idea of the size of PCS's build queue, but some weeks ago I know that it was in excess of 5000 orders. Whilst agreeing that PCS have not been good with their communications of late, expecting them to tell 5000 customers at each stage of their build what's happening and what their 'plan of action' might be is expecting way too much.

It would be better I agree, were PCS to tell you that 'issues have been discovered in your build during testing, that these are being rectified and that they're making certain it's good before shipping it'. It would also be good were they able to give you an estimate of when it might be shipped, but to expect them to engage in a detailed dialogue with you during the testing phase is ridiculous.

It's extremely frustrating to know that your build is in testing and yet not know when it might be shipped. PCS could help relieve some of that frustration by giving you some idea of what's holding it up and when it might arrive, but in terms of 'being kept informed' and expecting to be given an 'action plan' you are expecting too much I believe.

SimMou

You might have a point. I’m venting because my frustration has built to boiling point after zero updates initiated by PCS between Aug 4 and Aug 13.

Is a one-line note following each test action (to comply with their claim to add notes to the order in the event of issues) too much to expect?

Im interested to know if others think I’m being unreasonable.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You might have a point. I’m venting because my frustration has built to boiling point after zero updates initiated by PCS between Aug 4 and Aug 13.

Is a one-line note following each test action (to comply with their claim to add notes to the order in the event of issues) too much to expect?

Im interested to know if others think I’m being unreasonable.
I don't think you're being unreasonable, I just think your expectations are a tad high. Don't get me wrong, I agree completely that PCS have not communicated the situation with your build at all well to you and I agree that you deserve better.

TBH (and bear in mid that I don't work for PCS) I don't think adding notes to your build is helpful. Suppose they found a fault with the graphics card and replaced it, would that need a note? Suppose they got a RAM error and replaced the stick, would that need a note? Suppose they found that the temps were a bit high so they repasted, or perhaps the cooler hadn't been mounted quite right, would they need a note?

IMO there isn't much (or anything?) that might be found during testing that the customer would need to keep an eye on or to be made aware of. It's either working perfectly when it leaves PCS or it's not, in which case the issue is rectified until it is working perfectly. Either way the customer always gets a build that has fully passed all tests.

I realise it's your baby already and you're keen to know how she (he?) is getting along but all you really want is a working PC arriving on your doorstep - so what does the customer gain by seeing all the faults that were corrected to get the build perfect?

SimMou

To me, personally, all such reports would help a lot. It would tell me what was happening, why there’s a delay and why I could accept the delay was warranted. No such reports just leaves me wondering if anything is happening at all. Telling me “they’re doing everything they can” doesn’t calm me at all.