Call someone you haven't spoken to in a while

KippleKat

Enthusiast
Thank you for sharing @SpyderTracks. It is really important, and also thanks to the others for the links as not everyone has family or friends they can call or they find it too hard to tell those close to them. A stranger on an advice or helpline can be completely impartial and just listen which is sometimes all that's needed.

A lot of people have been going through or are going through difficult times, gaming is something that can alleviate loneliness, stress and anxiety. There's probably a lot of people on this forum who retreat into gaming like me to get away from the day-to-day.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I also think, one of the main contributing factors to the deterioration of mental and physical health is the work place environment don't get me wrong, there are great business to work for, unfortunately a significant number of businesses do provide poor treatment to their employees, I believe that political figures have a duty to place better enforcement of existing regulations as this will in part help to prevent for example a proportion of avoidable trips to either a gp or hospitals.

Great advice I heard a while back is if you feel stressed or mentally rundown, always remember to make time for your hobbies and interests, that way you remember what makes you happy and not feel as if the worries and stresses are all consuming you.
This is so true, as most of you know I'm a keen cyclist, and when I'm out in the countryside on the bike, I just chill & forget any worries

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Exercise is very important, even if it’s just a daily walk, something I need to take note of myself
Very true, I think these socks sum it up for me

1620201137675.jpeg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My daily exercise is walking Rudy, my basset hound. If you've ever walked a basset you know what fun it can be pulling him away from a bush where he found a bit of discarded pizza two months ago and still checks daily in case there's more. Regularly stopping him rooting at the base of the (many) trees which the cats use as their toilet (cat poo is a basset delicacy apparently). Heading off at full speed 90 degrees from the direction we're walking because some scent or other has caught his nose - and then putting all his weight on the lead (and he's a strong dog) to get to it. And of course making a bee-line for anyone who looks at him because he knows they must surely want to fuss him. Oh and the pee queue of course. If some other dog has peed on it, no matter what 'it' is then Rudy has to pee on it too!

polycrac

Rising Star
The first lockdown was fine for me but the later ones were a real struggle with anxiety (had my first jab last week and that really helped, it was like I was letting out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding in). I dug out the exercise bike and started cycling. I'm working my way through Critical Role S2 while I cycle, for motivation. For reference, I'm a fat old man who likes a drink and never exercised before but I can do several hours a day now. It has helped me mentally and physically - I'm not good at being told what to do, so exercise classes are not for me.

Of all the friends and family I can talk to about this kind of stuff, I've not found one yet who hasn't said they struggled too.

These forums I must say have helped me through covid as I was just working and coming home and was a welcome distraction from the mundane grind !! There is a bloke I work with who suffers from anxiety and depression and if I notice hes down or quiet I always make sure to strike up a conversation about some new horror film ( hes really into his horror ) or even a simple hello how is it going ? Just to make sure he is ok !