Camera not working

ThatGuy11200

I purchased my laptop from PCS in 2020. The camera was working fine until a few weeks ago. Now, when I open the Windows 10 camera app, I get an error saying that it can't detect the camera.

I've noticed that I can start the camera for a few seconds at startup, so I'm guessing something is starting up that's blocking it. But nothing in task manager jumps out at me as being responsible.

The only anti-virus is Windows Defender.

I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot the problem.

Aza

Rising Star
When was the last time you ran updates, and are you also looking at any optional ones that might be there?
Have you had a dig through the settings or installed anything new just before the problems started?

ThatGuy11200

When was the last time you ran updates, and are you also looking at any optional ones that might be there?
Have you had a dig through the settings or installed anything new just before the problems started?
I run windows updates when they are downloaded.

I did have OBS, but I installed that months before the camera stopped working. I uninstalled it, but it didn't solve anything.

Aza

Rising Star
Have you checked the optional updates? It doesnt automatically show them, its normally a drop down menu.
Pop open settings/updates and just check theres nothing in there...perhaps a driver issue with the camera?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also check the camera is actually enabled, usually a FN and F button combination, it should be clearly marked on the key.

Reactions: Aza

ThatGuy11200

Also check the camera is actually enabled, usually a FN and F button combination, it should be clearly marked on the key.
That's done it! Thanks!

I didn't even realise that was possible.

However, I did record the Task Manager with OBS during startup a little while ago and narrowed it down to a few programs, including "FN hotkeys and OSD," because the camera went off immediately before they appeared. So, I might have figured it out eventually.