Can a 7970m be upgraded to the gtx680m

lakey247

Guys,

As the heading states, if i was to order a laptop with the 7970m now and then look to upgrade to the 680m when the price drops, is this feasable?

Just cant bring myself to shell out another £200 on the GTX 680m for the little increase it gives from the reviews i have been reading.

Regards,

john

kruppsy

Master
Im not sure about the feasability, it may require a different chassis?

But in all honestly it probably isnt worth changing over anyway. I have the gtx680m and was torn, much like you, between the 680 and 7970. I only didnt get the 7970 because at the time Enduro was crippling the 7970 frame rates. Now, it appears Enduro has been fixed in the latest drivers and all the benchmarks suggests its tit-for-tat on which card is better, a frame here, a frame there. Some games differ by larger amounts so maybe head over to Notebookcheck and AnandTech to see which games perform better for which card and news on latest drivers for the 7970. That may help convince you either way.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It can be, but you would need to purchase a new 680M and sell of the 7970M yourself. This would cost a lot more than £200...probably closer to £500.

lakey247

It can be, but you would need to purchase a new 680M and sell of the 7970M yourself. This would cost a lot more than £200...probably closer to £500.

Thanks for the replies guys, When i mentioned 200 i meant the difference between ordering a laptop with a 680m compared to the 7970m on the configurator. I understand it would be more to buy outright.

John