Can I charge through Thunderbolt?

eldrayco

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not the most knowledgable around technology.
I'm wanting to buy a usb-c hub to connect my other peripherals to my laptop, and I was wondering if it is possible to charge my laptop through the thunderbolt port with usb-c connection. When I plug the same usb-c cable I use for my phone into my laptop it does not begin charging. I have confirmed it is a thunderbolt port, and everything I have found online about thunderbolt indicates it is capable of charging the laptop.
The laptop is a 17" Vyper that I bought secondhand so not sure on the exact specs.
Am I being stupid, or is the port just malfunctioning?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
USB C is different to Thunderbolt.

If it's a Thunderbolt port then you'd need a Thunderbolt Dock.

Thunderbolt is carried over USB C but it's a different protocol.

eldrayco

The issue then is that my phone charger is not thunderbolt compatible? That makes sense.
So just to clarify before I make any purchases, in order to charge my laptop through the thunderbolt port I need a dock/cable that states is specifically compatible with thunderbolt?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The issue then is that my phone charger is not thunderbolt compatible? That makes sense.
So just to clarify before I make any purchases, in order to charge my laptop through the thunderbolt port I need a dock/cable that states is specifically compatible with thunderbolt?
It would need to be a Thunderbolt 3 dock

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The phone charger also wouldn't give enough power to charge the laptop even if it was a USB c port.