Can I install Windows 7?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a Acer aspire E5 574 with windows 10,,can I install win 7 directly from ISO file?

The difficulty with installing windows 7 on modern PC's is that often there is no driver support. You would need to check on Acers website to see if they had any drivers available for the chassis under windows 7.

This forum is really for support of PCS computers and laptops and we can't advise on competitor builds or self builds, you may want to check out Acer's forums or Tom's Hardware which is an open forum.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I would question why you need to install Windows 7?

As Oussebon points out, it's due to become end of life next year and as Spyder says, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get a hold of drivers.

Bear in mind that Windows 7 is now coming up to 10 years old and we've had 8, 8.1 and various revisions of 10 since then.

Whilst I would agree that there are still some odd design decisions in the Windows 10 UI, it's overall a very usable and proving to be secure and stable OS.

And for anyone who says "data slurp" I can only ask them - do you browse using Chrome or search using Google? How about Facebook or do you have an Android phone?

More - do you use loyalty cards, or even, to a less extent, credit cards in stores?

Stephen M

Author Level
W7 as the main OS is a waste of time now as others have said there will be no updates soon and drivers are an issue. If you really need it, I am forced to because some of my OU courses use Windows or Mac only software, then run W7 in a VM but for everything else go with an up to date OS.

I agree with Tony to a point about the data thing, credit and loyalty cards are a problem, it is a case of weighing up the risk on whether you want the money that can be accrued with Nectar (the only account other than bank an cc I have) and take the risk or not, as I travel by rail a lot and Virgin give Nectar points it is worth a hundred or so quid a year to me on travel alone so a risk I will take. As for the others, Firefox is pretty good security wise, searching is with DuckDuckgo, I have seriously disliked things like Twitbook and Facer from the outset, you only have to briefly read their T&Cs to realise what the companies are and my current phone is an Aquaris B4 running Ubuntu, which will soon be replaced by this: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
W7 as the main OS is a waste of time now as others have said there will be no updates soon and drivers are an issue. If you really need it, I am forced to because some of my OU courses use Windows or Mac only software, then run W7 in a VM but for everything else go with an up to date OS.

I agree with Tony to a point about the data thing, credit and loyalty cards are a problem, it is a case of weighing up the risk on whether you want the money that can be accrued with Nectar (the only account other than bank an cc I have) and take the risk or not, as I travel by rail a lot and Virgin give Nectar points it is worth a hundred or so quid a year to me on travel alone so a risk I will take. As for the others, Firefox is pretty good security wise, searching is with DuckDuckgo, I have seriously disliked things like Twitbook and Facer from the outset, you only have to briefly read their T&Cs to realise what the companies are and my current phone is an Aquaris B4 running Ubuntu, which will soon be replaced by this: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Funnily enough I made the same choice with nectar - primarily because of fuel and you can get points buying random crud from fleabay. At the end of the year, it's usually accrued enough to add to our christmas booze account for a couple of bottles of shorts or some such. :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Funnily enough I made the same choice with nectar - primarily because of fuel and you can get points buying random crud from fleabay. At the end of the year, it's usually accrued enough to add to our christmas booze account for a couple of bottles of shorts or some such. :)

Same here, though I don't wait for Christmas :) just got myself a bottle of spirits for a bunch of nectar points and a quid (16 quid doesn't divide by 2.50).

Anyways, back to the point of the thread, I agree with what everyone else has said, and drivers for Win7 may be nigh on impossible to come by for some things, drivers for branded laptops can be very specific making it even more tricky to get things working.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There's a relative of mine with a Win 7 licence due to expire soon. If I can't get the free upgrade to work I may look at this! Downloading the ISO already as I may want to play around even if it is possible to secure a free upgrade.

Thanks for the tip!

ragnar28

So guys my laptop took a dive. Like i sad i was looking for a mac but ran into a sweet deal on a dell...with windows 10 ofcourse. as you'll note from the garbage i spewed above i dont like windows 10 very much.

I tinkered around with it for about a week THIS IS WHERE I EAT SOME HUMBLE PIE .... I really really like it. THere were a few heavy updates on the first few days but that stopped and went to just "normal" updates.

After getting to know windows 10 a little more i realized the that, though a little more hidden than in seven, you actually get a lot more control over the various aspects of your pc.

As for my saying it was slow, i was wrong there again too, that probably just depended on your hardware being able to handle it, i actually find it quite efficient once set up properly at handling tasks.

Anyway to all those whom i argued with I would like to say "you were right".
AS THEY SAY DONT KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU TRY IT

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So guys my laptop took a dive. Like i sad i was looking for a mac but ran into a sweet deal on a dell...with windows 10 ofcourse. as you'll note from the garbage i spewed above i dont like windows 10 very much.

I tinkered around with it for about a week THIS IS WHERE I EAT SOME HUMBLE PIE .... I really really like it. THere were a few heavy updates on the first few days but that stopped and went to just "normal" updates.

After getting to know windows 10 a little more i realized the that, though a little more hidden than in seven, you actually get a lot more control over the various aspects of your pc.

As for my saying it was slow, i was wrong there again too, that probably just depended on your hardware being able to handle it, i actually find it quite efficient once set up properly at handling tasks.

Anyway to all those whom i argued with I would like to say "you were right".
AS THEY SAY DONT KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU TRY IT
If you're unaware of it, there's also this app which changes the look and feel back to Windows 7 so you get the best of both worlds:

But yes, Windows 10 is the difference to windows 7 like Windows 7 was to XP, it's superior in almost every way.

But we all get comfortable. Windows 7 is still a phenominal OS, but it's just that Windows 10 offers more.

films&games

Enthusiast
If you're unaware of it, there's also this app which changes the look and feel back to Windows 7 so you get the best of both worlds:

But yes, Windows 10 is the difference to windows 7 like Windows 7 was to XP, it's superior in almost every way.

But we all get comfortable. Windows 7 is still a phenominal OS, but it's just that Windows 10 offers more.

Hi,

I have been using Windows 10 Professional upgraded from Windows 7 yesterday. How many customisation options can you do using the Classic Shell app? Do you recommend any in particular? Because I liked the layout in Windows 7, e.g. the start menu.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I have been using Windows 10 Professional upgraded from Windows 7 yesterday. How many customisation options can you do using the Classic Shell app? Do you recommend any in particular? Because I liked the layout in Windows 7, e.g. the start menu.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.
I've never used it myself, I think you just install it with defaults and it will look like windows 7.