Can I overclock?

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I have a pretty old system but want to try overclocking it in the near future (after some cooling upgrades),

I have the

i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz

and

Geforce GTX 550ti

can anyone tell me how well, if it all these can be overclocked?

Thanks guys.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you probably could, but, dont mate.

The K version intel cpus are best for overclocking, as the multipliers are unlocked, whereas the standard intel cpus do not have unlocked multipliers. I believe the K can be overclocked pretty high, but the non K versions cant and trying to do so, would damage the cpu.

Although the non k versions can be overclocked, but probably not much further than stock speeds, it will also output a ton of more heat, if cooling isn't extremely good, you will effect the longevity of the cpu.

I considered oc'in my 2600 but decided against it, for a few reasons.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
oh god yeah dont overclock the gpu, lol I've seen a guy who overclocked his already factory overclocked gpu, lol he nearly fried it, it kept crashing hahah.

was funny, but erm yea dont do it.

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
oh god yeah dont overclock the gpu, lol I've seen a guy who overclocked his already factory overclocked gpu, lol he nearly fried it, it kept crashing hahah.

was funny, but erm yea dont do it.

haha, maybe he wanted to cook his eggs on it.

I should probably know this, as it's my GPU but, is my GPU already overclocked?

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
You will void your warranty (if you still have one) and it could lead to instability if not done properly.

Warranty went a while back lol, and I did find out that it can lead to instability, but if I got it right, how much performance do you think it could increase?