Can Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) play DVDs

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
is it able to play DVDs fine and is it able to play video files such as mkv as my friend would like a cheap laptop just for movies on the go and internet browsing, nothing else and he said he will be playing a lot of mkv files and wants to know if they can be played ok, otherwise ill have to get windows for him just so he can play it ok, im not sure he is into changing into the encoding etc

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
is it able to play DVDs fine and is it able to play video files such as mkv as my friend would like a cheap laptop just for movies on the go and internet browsing, nothing else and he said he will be playing a lot of mkv files and wants to know if they can be played ok, otherwise ill have to get windows for him just so he can play it ok, im not sure he is into changing into the encoding etc

Yeah absolutely no problem :)

It will play them natively, but as with windows I prefer to download VLC anyway.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ahah thanks that drops the price greatly and almost fits into his £400 budget

i'm assuming integrated gfx card is ok for 720p movies? i can play 720p movies on my mobile intel 4 series express chipset family and this one seems better than mine, will also get him to phone PCS and ask if they can set the integrated gfx to about 1.5GB for max graphics performance

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Should be fine, i wouldn't even worry about the momery increase, just make sure u have enough ram, Linux as far as I know isnt that memory hungry (not like windows) so 2 - 4GB is plenty.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ok thanks i always knew it werent memory hungry but i thought 2GB was a bit too small if a decent amount of it was going to be reserved as graphics

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
ok thanks i always knew it werent memory hungry but i thought 2GB was a bit too small if a decent amount of it was going to be reserved as graphics

I doubt it will take that much in Vram, my 512MB X1900 played HD videos no problem.