Can&should I upgrade?!

Dante

Hello! I'm new to this forum , thanks for stopping by!
I'll be real quick:
I have a MoBo Intel DG965OT, Intel core 2 duo e6600 2.13 ghz 1066 fsb, 2 gb ddr2 (1.8v), 400w source and an Nvidia 7600 gs sli and 4 coolers (5 with the one from source).
I've searched trough the web and forums and still can't answer these questions:

1. Can I upgrade from core 2 duo to quad?! Unfortunately I dont have the mobo package so i downloaded the manual from intel, says nothing about supporting core 2 quad, but some guys on forums mentioned having it.

2. If above answer is no, can i get core 2 duo 3 ghz e7500?! Still 1066 fsb, will get my hands on it tuesday.

3. Digged a little about pci-e 1.1;2.0 and 3.0.
1.1 supports 2.0 graphic cards, so could i get nvidia 8800/9800 gt / 260gt/gtx?!

4.If i upgrade all of the above and add a total of 8gb ddr2 (1.8v) will my pc take it?! I dont want to ruin it.

Thanks a lot for taking time to read and answer, I'm not really great at pc and was in need of some support.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Ash

Wait. Is it 2007 again all of a sudden?

Sorry bro, might as well get a new PC then bother upgrading it.

Dante

Wait. Is it 2007 again all of a sudden?

Sorry bro, might as well get a new PC then bother upgrading it.

Thank for answering and for the advice, but that didn't really help. I clearly know that taking an i7 into consideration, a gddr5 and a g force titan x would blow pc gaming, but atm i am saving for a laptop, so the best i could do is upgrade this1 (core 2 duo 3ghz is 20$, and a gforce 8800/9800 is a maximum of 50$, so it is convinient this way).
So, can you help me with my questions?!/even better ideas for my questions?! I'm well aware that the combo could be better if I knew more about pc.

Last edited:

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hi Dante, what do you use your pc for specifically? I think the point Ash was trying to make is the upgrades your suggesting to that system will only make a small leap in improvement, as the mobo is older also, if its for gaming you will struggle to make it work well, I upgraded with PCS last November from a quad core 6600 with 8 gb ram and a gtx 550ti, as it just was struggling to play games and slowly dying, so you may improve the pc but the older components will be nearing end of life and maybe if you start poking about in it it may come sooner than later!

Also I should mention that this is a PCS forum for advice/info of PCS customers and its advised not to give advice on self builds, so you may struggle to get much feedback for your post.