Can windows 10 be transferred from my old PCS build?

FILTHY-WZARD

I am.looking to replace my PCS laptop, it came with windows 10.

As I'm no longer using it, can I reuse the windows 10 on my new PCS build? If so, I'll just choose no OS in the configurator, right?.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just be aware that you can only use your copy of Windows on one computer, so if you transfer it to a new PC via a digital license then your laptop will not have an operating system. You won't be able to use it nor sell it on as a working laptop unless you install a different OS on there. :)

Rakk

The Awesome
That's interesting. Do you have a link for where it says that please?
It's probably 'Win 10 Education', which is free on a volume licensing agreement, but you probably need details for the place you're studying at and I think they need to have registered with Microsoft (or something like that).

paul1224

I work for a university and a lot of students can get free or heavily discounted Microsoft (and other) products. Normally there are certain T&C's, so for instance as a staff member I can get W10 Education for £14 with a product key provided but I have to agree that I need the product in relation to my work and if I left my employment I would technically not be authorised to use it any more.

When you purchase it you have to provide a .ac.uk email address to prove you are with an educational establishment and then agree to the T&C's. Probably similar to what OP is able to get I would assume.

Stephen M

Author Level
Thanks, that is very handy to know. I study with the Open University, albeit just for fun and at the moment have an old version of W7 on a VM to run Minitab but will have other software to add as the degree continues. I use Linux all of the time normally and begrudge paying for an operating system that I dislike and will only be used occasionally but a cheap version of W10 I would consider.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the details! I'm not looking to get (another) copy for free but its handy to know these things. [emoji3]

FILTHY-WZARD

Thanks for the details! I'm not looking to get (another) copy for free but its handy to know these things. [emoji3]

Got mine through onthehub website. My uninis registered with them. Also picked up o365 and VM workstation 15 for free too.

Windows 10 education is free to keep after graduating