Cannot see my hard drive

Mattbourne64

Hi guys,

I just installed my new SSD with Windows 7 over my current HD. However now that they are both connected up to the mobo, I can only see my SSD and not my other HD. I have checked the SATA connections and they seem to be in the right places. I have also checked disk management and can only see my SSD and not the other HD??

Any thoughts?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
what vanthus said.

but also open up the case, and check the connection to the drive, both the power and the sata cables.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi guys,

I just installed my new SSD with Windows 7 over my current HD. However now that they are both connected up to the mobo, I can only see my SSD and not my other HD. I have checked the SATA connections and they seem to be in the right places. I have also checked disk management and can only see my SSD and not the other HD??

Any thoughts?

When you did the installation of OS on the SSD did you format/clear the HDD as well?

Last edited:

Mattbourne64

When you did the installation of OS on the SSD did you format/clear the HDD as well?

No I just hooked up the SSD by itself and installed the OS, the same OS is also installed on the original HD but I changed the boot priority with the SSD running first.

So far it seems that only one SATA port on the bottom row works (out of 3) and that is where my original HD was plugged to.

Problem with the cable or mobo?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
No I just hooked up the SSD by itself and installed the OS, the same OS is also installed on the original HD but I changed the boot priority with the SSD running first.

So far it seems that only one SATA port on the bottom row works (out of 3) and that is where my original HD was plugged to.

Problem with the cable or mobo?

I had a similar issue with my caviar black but it was due to me doing a clean installation on my SSD and then deleting any files on my caviar black as well as partitions, I had to re-enable the caviar black by fiddling with device manager (Buzz helped me), if you can see the HDD on device manager then it might be the same issue.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Like vanthus said is the drive in the bios?

how many cables do you have? try switching the cables to see if that changes anything. So we can rule of the cable.

Mattbourne64

I had a similar issue with my caviar black but it was due to me doing a clean installation on my SSD and then deleting any files on my caviar black as well as partitions, I had to re-enable the caviar black by fiddling with device manager (Buzz helped me), if you can see the HDD on device manager then it might be the same issue.

Thinking it is the cable, I have now switched the cables that were in my original HD to my new SSD, and, used a different SATA port to check that and it works.

It must be the new SATA cable I brought that isnt working. Its one of those data and power in one cables, but I am pretty sure its that now. The guy in the shop said it would difinetly work with my SSD though.

Do different SATA cables work with certain types of mobo?

Mattbourne64

Sounds like a dodgy cable mate,

never heard of those types of cables before lol.

Fixed it lol, power part of the cable was not in properly. #embarrassedface

Sorry for wasting all of your time, I really appreciate the quick help and reponses I get here.