Can't decide on 15.6" or 17.3"

michty_me

I'm struggling to decide on which to buy between the two sizes.
I think the 17" laptop im looking at is roughly the same size and weight as what my old 15.6" laptop was so it's making it a bit harder to choose as I didn't find it too much of an issue carrying about.

The laptop will be used at home for gaming then transporting to work for gaming when I am not on shift.
It will need to go into a bag and transported/put away every night at work.

Is 15.6" big enough for daily gaming?

MathersMahmood

Bronze Level Poster
I personally think 15.6 is a sweet spot when it comes to mobility and gaming. I have gone for a 17.3 inch though as i want the biggest screen size possible and don't mind carrying the extra size and weight. :)

Charlas

Enthusiast
Yeah, I've gone from a 15.6 HP Omen, to the 17.3 Vyper, as my eye sight sucks! Plus the Omen was a bit of a 'chunck' so the extra size really isn't much (as bezels are slimmer on this anyhow) and weight is about the same, so I'll live with it.

I travel (when we can lol) all over the world with my Laptops as use them for editing, and never had issues with the Omen's bulk, so should be fine with this one, most my bags are just about big enough as well, so good there.

michty_me

The backpack I have is capable of holding a larger laptop anyway so I'm covered there.
I'll need to check the sizes again but I don't have access to an external screen to use so will be solely on the laptop screen.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The backpack I have is capable of holding a larger laptop anyway so I'm covered there.
I'll need to check the sizes again but I don't have access to an external screen to use so will be solely on the laptop screen.
In that case it's really just about the extra weight of a 17".

IMO if you can carry it around the bigger screen is worth it. Also, the bigger chassis in the 17" might aid cooling somewhat because there's a larger volume of air in there.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Was going to say the 17's have a cooling advantage, as they have a higher volume internally, so yeah, if nothing's stopping you then 17.3 is the way to go, especially if you can't hook it upto another screen

michty_me

It looks like the 17" is 5mm wider, 5mm shorter in depth but 6.5mm thicker and about 200g heavier. Hmm didn't realise it was that much thicker. Seems quite chunky.

michty_me

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, beer took over yesterday. Just got home from a long stint at work.
I think its the Optimus pro variants that I'm looking at.