Can't install Wine on CentOS 5.... >_<

Gishank

Bright Spark
Firstly, I must admit I am not too good with the bar guts of Linux and I've only really used ubuntu. Now, I recently purchased a fairly powerful VPS spec which is running CentOS v5, however forgetting I know very little about Linux's guts.

Now, I tried installing it via yum with the command "yum install wine", this didn't work so I did a quick bit of googling and found out that it isn't available in the default repositories (which is wierd given it's popularity), thus I installed yum-priorities and then installed the RPMForge repository, I did a quick check to see if it was installed correctly and it was...

So I thought, huzzah my problems are solved, so I attempted to use "yum install wine" again and found that even though it checked RPMForge it couldn't find it. I even did a quick search and compared the packages available to the ones on the website page, all (as far as I could tell) were there other than Wine... Now I'm pretty much stuck as I haven't a clue of any other way to install it, and as far as I can tell the RPMForge is the only one with a remotely up to date copy of Wine.

If you can help me, I will erect a statue in your honour made out of cookie dough...

EDIT;

After further investigation it would appear that, although installed, rpmforge isn't working properly.. (Seeming as I can't download or search for any 'unique' package from their list. such as Wine) I followed all of the steps on how to install it here... However, it is enabled and when I type yum search without an arguement it lists packages on their server, so I'm confused to hell. :(

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
erm...wtf mate? Wine? RPMForge? /lost confused.com?
Wish I could help but I have no idea what you're talking about >.< last I heard Wine got me drunk and didn't do much more than that!

Tom DWC

Hehe, as well as being an alcoholic beverage frequently won down the pub by cheating on the quiz...

Wine is a piece of software that allows you to run Windows applications on Linux.

Like you JSG10 I'm way out of my depth here. :confused:

A mate of mine will be in his comfort zone with this though so I'll see if he can drop in and take a look.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Yeah, JSG, I'm not losing my marbles... lol..

But yeah, Tom, any help is appreciated given I need Wine to use my VPS with the full intention of what I purchased it for. Game servers, and a Gaming community.... This could all be easily avoided though if more games had Linux/Unix based dedicated server files.

pr1s0ner

Ive not had much to do with any Redhat distros for quite a while. You need to make sure that the yum-priorities are enabled in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf.

If youve already checked and the repositories are added ok then install should be
yum –enablerepo=rpmforge install wine

Gishank

Bright Spark
As has been stated in my post, it is enabled. I also have yum-priorities enabled too... I also have another repository installed (EPEL 5) which works fine and I downloaded a severely outdated version of Wine through that. However naturally I want to keep up to date so I still need to resolve this issue.

pr1s0ner

Ive just looked on winehq and the newest version are in the EPEL repo's, so if there working then should be ok.

Have you tried installing from binaries instead?
www.winehq.org
and then

./configure
make depend
make

Gishank

Bright Spark
The EPEL 5 repo doesn't have a newer version than Wine 1.0.1... As for compiling the binaries that's a tad too complex as I'm still learning how to navigate and use Linux via the SSH terminal.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
I have too say that Ubuntu is really easy unless you are a real comandline freak. If it were me I would install Ubuntu and forget spending hours learning lower level stuff. The learning curve to really get into the nitty-gritty is steep and long, and if you don't need to get there, let the Ubuntu nerds do it for you! Also, Ubuntu peer support is the best ever! (Barry puts on tin-hat and dives into trench).

pr1s0ner

Learning how to install from the command line and compile from binaries is actually really easy. The bit that the package managers (yum aptitude etc.. ) do is handle all the dependencies. Chasing around installing loads of other programs before you could get something to work was all the annoying bit :)

Barrydrake is spot on though, Ubuntu for an easy life without a doubt. If your not 100% sure then try a liveboot cd or usb key first.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Unfortuently not, I contacted my host and cancelled the VPS as some major security issues cropped up in regards to using an outdated wine installation.