Carbide 300r build

Spuff

Expert
PC side.jpgPC rear.jpgytix.jpg(the big photos may not display at the moment, the host site's hamster is unwell)

ub8y.jpg

hf4z.jpg

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670K

Maximus Hero

120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz

Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler

Runs beautifully. With any ambient noise in the environment this PC is absolutely silent, even after adding a 4 year old Hard Drive. I can't hear the hard drive at all, whereas I could sometimes in my old computer (a Mac Pro).
I didn't expect any different performance from the Hard Drive but the data transfer rate has definitely improved on it in this PC. The SSD is performing as I'd hoped and has transformed general use compared to my old computer. Exporting (to the Hard Drive) the photos above from Lightroom was so much faster than on the Mac.
I've only installed applications and used the internet so far and the CPU temperature has stayed around 30 degrees C. Nice.
Now I've put in a GTX 760 Superclocked ACX, I can hear a very slight noise, but it is very slight. I haven't taxed it hard yet though.

The way PCS have fixed cables in the way means that it's impossible to connect up a drive if put in the second drive slot, but not a big problem because I can use the bottom 2 slots and I'll never have more than 3 drives in this machine.
The drive caddies are super-easy to pull in and out and to put a drive into. I was somewhat disappointed that the package didn't contain any drive data cables, but I suppose that's dependant on what Asus or the Carbide provides.

Compared to my old Mac Pro this PC is blessedly light (although the benchmark there is my Mac Pro which could have formed part of a strongest man competition).

(It seems to me that most people on this forum spend all their money on PC components rather than cameras. Tip - get a small tripod - I use an imitation Gorillapod which is very handy. As well as a steady shot a tripod allows your camera to expose for as long as it wants and this helps out a lot in diminished light situations. You can use a torch on the object to achieve auto focus if you can't lock focus (moving the torch away once focus is set))

Last edited: