Carrying case for Octane III 17.3"

kyriezolo

As the title says, I'm looking for a way to carry the 17.3" Octane III. Since PCS has a limited selection of bags(ie only one), I decided to look for one elsewhere. The bag I am looking for should have space for:
- The Octane III 17.3", with its power supply(obviously)
- A keyboard(Getting the frameless Roccat Suora, so it's not that big)
- A mouse
- A headset(I have the Sennheiser PC360)
- A game controller
- A wifi adapter with a relatively large, coffee cup-sized base - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...adapter-bath-march-3-2011-picture-id136413827
- An HDMI cable
- External HDD, some usb sticks, and maybe other small things

My current decision is the Asus ROG Nomad. I have seen the Thermaltake Battle Dragon but I have read bad reviews about seams coming off. Will the Octane fit in the Nomad?

EDIT: Just bought the Wenger Ibex, laptop does not fit in padded sleeve.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
PCS no longer sell this but I have seen it in other places, Targus XL City Gear 16. It was fine for my Octane I (same dimensions as yours I think) as well as cooling stand and various other stuff. The central pocket is split, giving room for laptop and cooling stand, although I think the keyboard will be fine there. Each side there are two large pockets for power bricks and larger stuff, plus USB, pen, mouse pockets. There are also two smaller pouches, one zippable, for papers etc. If I need to take back up drives and power cables they also fit in OK.

kyriezolo

PCS no longer sell this but I have seen it in other places, Targus XL City Gear 16. It was fine for my Octane I (same dimensions as yours I think) as well as cooling stand and various other stuff. The central pocket is split, giving room for laptop and cooling stand, although I think the keyboard will be fine there. Each side there are two large pockets for power bricks and larger stuff, plus USB, pen, mouse pockets. There are also two smaller pouches, one zippable, for papers etc. If I need to take back up drives and power cables they also fit in OK.

I saw the Targus XL City on Amazon, but it's more expensive than the Nomad. Is there anywhere else I can find it, but closer to £100?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The manufacturer code is apparently TARTCG717 (if we're talking about the rolling suitcase one) and if you google shopping that there is one result at about £106. That result doesn't have the best reviews, though you can pay by Paypal at least so have some protection if it all goes south.

If you look for it on Ebay (by name rather than by code), there is one vendor selling it with two separate listings (both new, etc) - one for ~£136 and one for ~£123. So you could shave a tenner off.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
I did not realise it was that expensive now, am sure it was only about 40-50 when I got it. If you do a general Targus search on Amazon there are a few others that look OK, plus a Wenger, all around 50 or less. Finding a decent bag is a problem with larger laptops.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did not realise it was that expensive now, am sure it was only about 40-50 when I got it. If you do a general Targus search on Amazon there are a few others that look OK, plus a Wenger, all around 50 or less. Finding a decent bag is a problem with larger laptops.

I've got the wenger which you can find for under 100. It only just fits my vortex iv, though, not sure how it would fare with the octane.

kyriezolo

I saw the Wenger Ibex backpack, which will most probably fit the 17.3" Octane. The question I have is whether it will also fit the rest of what I want to carry.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I second the Wenger backpacks. I have two. Tough as old boots with plenty of pockets and storage and padding for the actual laptop :)

kyriezolo

I bought the Wenger Ibex, and the 17.3" Octane *almost* fits in the padded sleeve. By almost I mean, not only its so tight I am actually concerned about the pressure exerted on the chassis(and possibly the screen), I sometimes manage to fully close the zip with the edge looking as if it's going to tear apart, and sometimes I don't even manage to close the zip. It fits okay in the padded area's outer compartment, but obviously the padding goes to waste and I could have gotten an unpadded £20 backpack instead of one close to £60.
The next compartment easily fits the power adapter, a mouse, a keyboard(Roccat Suora frameless, positioned diagonally in bag), and still has space that will probably hold a headset.

I am, however, still looking for suggestions that actually do fit a 17.3" Octane. I will most probably sell this bag if there is one with similar accessory space that actually fits the laptop.

pauhay158

Did you check out my backpack recommendation? It's pretty huge to be fair.

Not sure if it would be your style but it looks great to me.

I bought the Wenger Ibex, and the 17.3" Octane *almost* fits in the padded sleeve. By almost I mean, not only its so tight I am actually concerned about the pressure exerted on the chassis(and possibly the screen), I sometimes manage to fully close the zip with the edge looking as if it's going to tear apart, and sometimes I don't even manage to close the zip. It fits okay in the padded area's outer compartment, but obviously the padding goes to waste and I could have gotten an unpadded £20 backpack instead of one close to £60.
The next compartment easily fits the power adapter, a mouse, a keyboard(Roccat Suora frameless, positioned diagonally in bag), and still has space that will probably hold a headset.

I am, however, still looking for suggestions that actually do fit a 17.3" Octane. I will most probably sell this bag if there is one with similar accessory space that actually fits the laptop.

kyriezolo

It looks fine to me. But since I already got burnt once... I need a definite answer if this will specifically fit a 17.3" Octane III :p

pauhay158

Give me 2 weeks until mine arrives and i'll let you know haha.

I tested it with a 17" HP which is a chunk and it seems to be a nice fit but with space (not snug) so should be fine, but will let you know.

It looks fine to me. But since I already got burnt once... I need a definite answer if this will specifically fit a 17.3" Octane III :p

wilmck317

I asked on amazon and got an answer. It says it might not fit, so I don't know. I also saw a Freebiz 18.4" Bag https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeBiz-In...tDescription_secondary_view_div_1476450071360
This supposedly fits even a MSI GT80, but I do not know if it's a good quality backpack. It most probably should be of good quality, being as much as the Wenger Ibex.

I picked up this bag, really well made, fits the octane with space and has loads of pockets for other things too. it would fit everything on your list and still have space. Really comfy too which is a good thing considering the weight of the octane+accessories all together.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G4NOZ16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kirran

I picked up this bag, really well made, fits the octane with space and has loads of pockets for other things too. it would fit everything on your list and still have space. Really comfy too which is a good thing considering the weight of the octane+accessories all together.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G4NOZ16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I second that! I just bought the freebiz bag.. initially I didn't like it in the photos etc but I'm super happy with it now that it has arrived. I bought the biggest Wenger bag at 17 inches and it didn't fit!

I hate the name FreeBiz and the branding is a bit crappy by the bag is actually awesome! ♥