Case Advice

floki82

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting myself a new PC built but I've been out of the market for so long I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

One thing I do know is that I'd like to send in my case to have it fitted my new machine when I decide what I'm having.

I've currently got a Lian Li PC-A17 Case and my question is this: does the ATX standard still persist today for motherboards? From what I've read it does, but I'm wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for - or is ATX still just ATX?

Thanks in advance :)

M

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Crikey, the A17! He’s an old boy but he’s breezy! As much I love today’s windowed and mesh cases, I do still appreciate an obelisk like that.

ATX is still very much the standard, you’ve no cause for concern there 👍

floki82

Crikey, the A17! He’s an old boy but he’s breezy! As much I love today’s windowed and mesh cases, I do still appreciate an obelisk like that.

ATX is still very much the standard, you’ve no cause for concern there 👍
Amazing - thank you!

I've got another question about an old PSU I bought and never opened, but that's for tomorrow ;)

MrWilson

Godlike
So PCS will only allow take in cases, they won't accept other components such as PSUs.

You have the option of ordering a cheap PSU (although it will need to be large enough to be used during testing) and then fitting the PSU yourself at home. PCS have an open box policy, meaning that you can open up your PC and swap out components without voiding the warranty. However, I would also consider going for a newer PSU any way, as it's one of the most important and often overlooked parts in PC builds. If the PSU in your possession is unopened then it should be easier to sell, but this is something I have 0 experience in!

floki82

So PCS will only allow take in cases, they won't accept other components such as PSUs.

You have the option of ordering a cheap PSU (although it will need to be large enough to be used during testing) and then fitting the PSU yourself at home. PCS have an open box policy, meaning that you can open up your PC and swap out components without voiding the warranty. However, I would also consider going for a newer PSU any way, as it's one of the most important and often overlooked parts in PC builds. If the PSU in your possession is unopened then it should be easier to sell, but this is something I have 0 experience in!

OK thanks is really interesting, thank you.

Yeah I have an unopened Corsair HX520 modular PSU and I was going to ask if there had been loads of great advancements in tech since it was released.

Could I even use it or better to just go with a new model?

M

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK thanks is really interesting, thank you.

Yeah I have an unopened Corsair HX520 modular PSU and I was going to ask if there had been loads of great advancements in tech since it was released.

Could I even use it or better to just go with a new model?

M
It depends what you're using the PC for and what components are in it, but generally 500w is extremely small by todays standards, you'd be looking at a minimum of 800W for most PC's unless it was a very basic office pc.

floki82

It depends what you're using the PC for and what components are in it, but generally 500w is extremely small by todays standards, you'd be looking at a minimum of 800W for most PC's unless it was a very basic office pc.
OK thanks - I'll see if anyone wants is on eBay and get myself an upgrade :)