Case/Cooling Question

Voyeurism

Hi,

I noticed that your system builder states that the CoolIT ECO C240 cooler doesn't fit in the Coolermaster Storm Sniper case - is this definitely correct, as the Sniper is supposed to allow a 240mm radiator to be mounted in the top of the case?

Thanks.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

I have checked the speification on the CoolerMaster website:

Top: 200x30mm Blue LED Fan x 1 (500 - 1000rpm, 17 - 23 dBA) (can be swapped for two 120mm fans or 120x240mm Radiator)

It appears that this case does support the ECO 240. When we are in our offices tomorrow we will open a Sniper case and test this, and post back to you with our conclusion and remove the block if successful.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Voyeurism

Excellent, thanks for your help.

Assuming it fits in the case at all, it would be useful to know whether there is enough clearance to allow any choice of motherboard and components.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Final answer on this, No.

The sniper can take the radiator in the top but for some reason CM has attached the top cover with rivets. So without some modding you cant actually attach the radiator for the cooler.

LDUK

Master Poster
Final answer on this, No.

The sniper can take the radiator in the top but for some reason CM has attached the top cover with rivets. So without some modding you cant actually attach the radiator for the cooler.

Does it fit in the HAF 932?

Voyeurism

Ok, thanks for checking.

For a system based on an overclocked i7-930 what do you recommend in the way of cooling? Is the Titan Fenrir or the CoolIT ECO A.L.C. going to be sufficient, or is it worth going with the ECO C240? And how noisy is the Fenrir likely to be in a system like this?

If you think that the ECO C240 is the way to go, do you have any recommendations as far as cases go? Ideally I'm looking for something that allows for good airflow within the case, isn't too noisy, and looks pretty (I like the styling of the Sniper, but not so much the HAF... although I could probably live with it - the red LED's would have to go though). I'm prepared to source from a third party in order to get the right case, so feel free to suggest something the PCS don't stock.

Thanks in advance.

Gorman

Author Level
Ok, thanks for checking.

For a system based on an overclocked i7-930 what do you recommend in the way of cooling? Is the Titan Fenrir or the CoolIT ECO A.L.C. going to be sufficient, or is it worth going with the ECO C240? And how noisy is the Fenrir likely to be in a system like this?

If you think that the ECO C240 is the way to go, do you have any recommendations as far as cases go? Ideally I'm looking for something that allows for good airflow within the case, isn't too noisy, and looks pretty (I like the styling of the Sniper, but not so much the HAF... although I could probably live with it - the red LED's would have to go though). I'm prepared to source from a third party in order to get the right case, so feel free to suggest something the PCS don't stock.

Thanks in advance.

The vanilla ECO and Titan are up to the job no problem, if you want the 240 and want to source a case to send into us then thats fine too. As they say, its up to you. Case preferences are a very personal thing, its really going to hang on your tastes and what you want from a case. Except the incoming 600t, that is just awesomeness nobody can deny.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Both the Eco and Fenrir are great coolers and will have no problems cooling the i7-930. The CoolIT Eco is a little quiter and will perform better, but then again it's more expensive.

If you choose the Eco 240 you will need to choose the HAF 982, 922, or Cosmos 1000.

You're welcome to order your own case and send it to us, providing it fits in with our requirements as specified when you select the "Choose Your Own Case" option.

Voyeurism

Except the incoming 600t, that is just awesomeness nobody can deny.

Agreed, it is pretty sexy. Like the Sniper the 600t supposedly fits a 240mm radiator in the top of the case in place of the 200mm fan that comes with the case – I think I’ll hold off until you guys have them in stock when hopefully someone will be able to confirm that this fits…

How about the new HAF-X? Personally, I like the style of it better than the original HAF... the side looks much cleaner.

I also prefer the styling of the HAF-X to that of the original HAF – although it’s a HUGE case, and my girlfriend already thinks I’m a loony for looking at cases with LEDs. I can’t imagine what she’ll say if I buy a case that’s actually bigger than the flat we’ve just sold.

Actually, I can imagine what she’ll say only too well :(

Currently I’m thinking that I may just have to go with the standard ECO cooler in the Sniper case, although now that I’ve seen the HAF-X I’m sorely tempted to go with that, and source a Coolermaster V10 cooler (the styling matches sooooo well, and performance is supposed to be awesome for an air cooler) – don’t suppose you guys would consider stocking this, would you?

I also wanted to ask some general questions about the overclocked systems, since I’m new to overclocking generally.

You overclock the i7 930 to a max of 3.8GHz, although this site suggests that they had no problem getting it stable at 4.2GHz – do your overclocked systems allow some headroom for further overclocking?

Is the RAM in your systems also overclocked, and if not do you have any thoughts on whether this is something that is worth looking at? How does one even go about overclocking the RAM – is it a question of whether the motherboard supports it?

Again, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PaulH

Bright Spark
Please dont go for the V10 if your sourcing your own, there are much better Air collers than that block of flats that sits in the system, Look for Noctua or even the Corsair H50 if you are sourcing your own (although im 100% sure youd be happy with the Eco or Titan)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You overclock the i7 930 to a max of 3.8GHz, although this site suggests that they had no problem getting it stable at 4.2GHz – do your overclocked systems allow some headroom for further overclocking?

Is the RAM in your systems also overclocked, and if not do you have any thoughts on whether this is something that is worth looking at? How does one even go about overclocking the RAM – is it a question of whether the motherboard supports it?

You can overclock to 4.2GHZ or even higher, but the overclocks we do are a stable overclock, with a view to having no BSOD's or crashes, and also keeping the temperature down. Once you start pushing the CPU too far problems emerge.

We don't overclock RAM - again this can cause stability issues and failures. It can be done, but you're on your own if you choose to do so...

ricbea

Does the Coolit Eco 240 fit in the Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case? Or would I have to get the ordinary Coolit Eco?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Both the Eco and the Eco 240 are great products and will keep your CPU temperature much lower than most other coolers available whilst also keeping the noise levels to a minimum :)