Caviar Black vs. Caviar Green

MaltonSeadog

Silver Level Poster
Hi all,

My PC is currently in processing, and just looking at options to modify.

I currently have the Caviar Black 1TB selected. However, some of my music production instrument libraries are 200GB in size, so I could do with a little more space possibly.

How does the Green compare to the Black? The 2TB Green is on offer, and I can upgrade for just £14.

The Black 2TB would set me back another £51, which I'm probably not prepared to stretch to.

Is the Green slower than the Black? Just noticed that it's the only one running at 3Gb/s and not 6.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Caviar green is energy efficient, slower than the caviar black but good for storage.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have a 1tb caviar black drive and a 2tb caviar green,

The black version I use for games, the green i use for music/movies/pics.

I would say the black is certainly faster, but the green is massively suited for storage, I believe it spins down when not in use, they have to pin back up when you use them, so this takes a few seconds.

The difference in sata ports doesn't mean the drive is going to be alot slower, I have a 2tb sata 6gb/s connected via a sata 3gb/s port. Also if for example I/you/most people probably wouldn't see much/if any difference between a green drive on a sata 6 gb/s port and another drive on a 3gb/s port. Saying that I have found my black drive faster than my green drive,

I don't know of your budget, but if it was my rig, I'd get a small SSD for the operating system, 60-90gb is a good size, they are relatively cheap at the moment. 50-60 pounds. Then due to the size of the files you are working with, I would suggest a 2tb caviar black drive over a 2tb caviar green.

So my opinion is that the black is faster than the green, however, I cant accurately tell you how much faster.

you can read information about the drives here,
black drive - http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=100
green drive - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=120

Hope this helps ya