central heating and hot water control

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure if this comes within the remit for this forum, but I guess they are computer controlled these days, so there may be an expert out there.

I have a very old central heating system, where my existing controller controls the central heating and hot water via 2 motorised valves.

I want to upgrade the controller to a more modern device, if possible via smart/wifi. However the one's currently out there, do not seem to make it clear if they do both.
In the wiring I assume the timer, in whatever form would need control/switch wires to control both valves separately, so there would be a need for enough terminal connections on the back of the controller to accommodate this. But this information is very sparse when trying to buy one.

I know one's like 'Hive' or similar systems are available, but I don't like their prices, so any advice would be appreciated.

regards
Chris

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I have the Nest and it does exactly what you are after. Your current timer is replaced by a controller that has multiple switched outputs. The switched outputs are then controlled remotely via the Nest controller. This is updated via phone app to control your "timer" etc.

Very clever stuff but you will want a professional in to survey, quote and fit. It's completely bespoke for each house due to locations etc.

I did fit my own but I studied it intently understanding how it all worked before even attempting it.

turbocool

I have the Nest and it does exactly what you are after. Your current timer is replaced by a controller that has multiple switched outputs. The switched outputs are then controlled remotely via the Nest controller. This is updated via phone app to control your "timer" etc.

Very clever stuff but you will want a professional in to survey, quote and fit. It's completely bespoke for each house due to locations etc.

I did fit my own but I studied it intently understanding how it all worked before even attempting it.
I fitted hive for my elderly mother, she has mobility issues and the thermostat fitted by the council in her house has such tiny buttons for controls that she doesn't know how to use it.

Now I get phone calls during various time of the day asking me to turn the hot water/heating for her, because she doesn't know how to use a tablet. But it does do everything OP wants to do.

You can essentially get british gas to fit this for you in installments and pay monthly over the course of the year, it works without british gas too.

The best thing about is you can fit electronics thermostats in each radiator and control the temp in each room. Conventionally you'd have a thermostat in one room (ususally the living room) which controls all CH in the house, the living room is often the warmest room in the house as there's more people there.