Change HDD For SSD Question?

AndrewRosenberg917

Bronze Level Poster
Hello guys,

Can anyone give me some advice please? Basically was getting stuttering or frame drop in VR games on Quest 2 wirelessly on a PC i purchased from PCS, spent some hours talking to a tech guy on discord. He couldn't work out what the issue was and we tried everything from the software side of things and setting up my router for optimal settings for my Quest 2. Anyway we were about to give up and he said one last thing to try was to install Pavlov VR onto my SSD rather than the HDD. I tried it and all of a sudden all of the frame rates where nice and smooth, so i realize now that the HDD i purchased is not good enough for wireless VR. I thought fair enough, i have a spare 1tb SSD in a laptop i no longer use i can just switch them over. Anyway here is where the problem began. So i took the right hand side panel of to access the cage for the HDD just to have a look to see how easy it was and was meet by this (Attached photos) Basically was wondering if anyone can suggest an easy way of accessing the cage for the HDD without unplugging all of the wires that are in the way. There are so many that im not sure how or where i could begin, the only other option i thought of was to remove the fans and panel on the left hand side if it comes completely off. I have contacted PCS to see what they think would be the best option but thought i would ask here in the mean time as i know some of you guys know your stuff.

In the picture the hardrive cage is located between the bottom fan and all of those wires.

Edited : Just had a thought - Rather than messing with the PC could i just buy an external SSD for VR gaming would that be faster than my HDD plugged into the USB-C 3.2 port?

Thanks for any info

Attachments

• 20211201_003744_resized.jpg
    20211201_003744_resized.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20211201_003752_resized.jpg
    20211201_003752_resized.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello guys,

Can anyone give me some advice please? Basically was getting stuttering or frame drop in VR games on Quest 2 wirelessly on a PC i purchased from PCS, spent some hours talking to a tech guy on discord. He couldn't work out what the issue was and we tried everything from the software side of things and setting up my router for optimal settings for my Quest 2. Anyway we were about to give up and he said one last thing to try was to install Pavlov VR onto my SSD rather than the HDD. I tried it and all of a sudden all of the frame rates where nice and smooth, so i realize now that the HDD i purchased is not good enough for wireless VR. I thought fair enough, i have a spare 1tb SSD in a laptop i no longer use i can just switch them over. Anyway here is where the problem began. So i took the right hand side panel of to access the cage for the HDD just to have a look to see how easy it was and was meet by this (Attached photos) Basically was wondering if anyone can suggest an easy way of accessing the cage for the HDD without unplugging all of the wires that are in the way. There are so many that im not sure how or where i could begin, the only other option i thought of was to remove the fans and panel on the left hand side if it comes completely off. I have contacted PCS to see what they think would be the best option but thought i would ask here in the mean time as i know some of you guys know your stuff.

In the picture the hardrive cage is located between the bottom fan and all of those wires.

Edited : Just had a thought - Rather than messing with the PC could i just buy an external SSD for VR gaming would that be faster than my HDD plugged into the USB-C 3.2 port?

Thanks for any info
Could you post your full specs?

An external drive wouldn't be recommended.

AndrewRosenberg917

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

Here are my specs.

Hey guys, thank you for the reply's. Yes i think i have space for another m.2, i have one installed already but believe i could fit a second one. Think i would need to remove the graphics card which i am a little worried about tbh. Also here is the photo, i hope the quality is acceptable as i have had to resize the image to make it fit. Seems like the HDD is okay for storage but not much else.

Thanks

Showing Order Reference 2177227
CaseCORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275R MID TOWER GAMING CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Memory Card ReaderNONE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting2x 50cm ARGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 5x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Attachments

• 20211201_082736_resized.jpg
    20211201_082736_resized.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211201_082745_resized.jpg
    20211201_082745_resized.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20211201_082749_resized.jpg
    20211201_082749_resized.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 68

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Hello guys,

Thanks for any info
Looks like a Corsair 5000 case? I think to get the drive cage out you *may* be able to squeeze it out by moving all the cables, otherwise it will need the fan tray dropping off, i'm just about to take the spinning drive out of mine and repurpose it in a NAS as its noisy and takes up too much room. I added a PCIe M.2 adapter to give me a third M.2 but as above if you have a second M.2 slot on your MB that's the way to go.

AndrewRosenberg917

Bronze Level Poster
Yes i can add another m2 to the board, never done it before. Its a little bit daunting as i wouldn't want to damage anything in the process. The guy i was speaking to on discord said that m2 is the best but for what i need a normal 2.5 SSD would be just fine as that is what he was using with no issues. I think i would be more happy to add one myself once the warranty was run out and the PC was worth a lot less. Yes tell me about it they do make some noise LOL Could i ask why an external would be out of the question. The only reason i ask is because Curry's currently have a Samsung T7 on sale for £109 which isn't much more expensive that an internal but according to youtube runs a bit faster than the 2.5 SSD that i have spare and i wouldn't need to crack open the case anymore. Sorry for my lack of knowledge or understanding, im new to SSD's.

Edit (Well it was on sale until i just checked again and now it is back upto £200)

Yes it's a 5000x

cheers

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It would take about 5 minutes to slip a second m.2 into the lower slot on that board, just take the cover off the slot, fit the m.2 and reflux the cover, then just initialise in disk manager