Check my Desktop spec, Can I save Money?

tintin

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS 450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
3rd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£79)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£45)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£72)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
USB Options
2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI EXPRESS CARD
Firewire & Video Editing
3 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI Card (£9)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,140.00 including VAT and delivery.

This PC will not be used for gaming and it's appearence is not important. I will be using it for Photoshop with RAW images and for Full HD Video Editing aswell as standard everyday usage. I would like it to last me for at least 5 years, and may upgrade components myself in the future. I plan to dual boot Win 7 Pro 64 and Win XP Pro 32 from the first Hard Drive, the second HDD will be for all data, and the 3rd HDD will be a backup drive. I believe my spec will leave me with 4 USB 3.0 ports? is that correct.

Can anyone let me know if I could cut back on some of the components, as I would have liked to have spent around £1,000. Is the CPU too much, or Power Supply too much, or the Motherboard etc. Could I downgrade anything without losing too much performance? Is there anything I am short on like RAM, GPU or cooling?

I know 2 Blu Ray drives might be OTT, but I am used to 2 DVD drives on my old PC and so am going to stick with that.

Forgive me if I have asked anything stupid or written something which makes no sense, but this will be my first custom built PC, and I am learning stuff each day.

Thank You.

wereireland

Enthusiast
Get the normal 2500 because the 2500k cpu is for overclocking. And switch the second and third hard disks to caviar green's. They are cheaper and better suited to storage. You will need a better case for cooling. I recommend the PCS maelstorm t900 case. Its cheap and has good airflow.If you plan to upgrade in the future you might want to get a better power supply, but since your not gaming 650w might be good enough.

tintin

Thanks for the quick reply wereireland. When I originally checked this spec there was only £1 between the 2500 and 2500k so I went for the 2500k, but I will go for the 2500 if there is a bigger difference when I order. When comparing the Cavier Green to Black I compared the Green 2.5Tb to the Black 2Tb because the Green 2Tb is only 3 Gb/s, the Green actually cost £13 more then the black (admittidly for 500GB more space). I assume the differnece between 3 Gb/s and 6Gb/s is actually very noticable? The PCS maelstorm t900 case is £30 more then the Enigma black one, would the Coolermaster Elite 310 Blue Case provide enough cooling for just £6 more?

bg92

Expert
Cooler master elite 310 should be good enough but I would go for haf912 plus (it will keep everything cool and quiet), and 650w power supply will be definately enough even for most power hungry single gpu if you will want to upgrade later on. I would change the 3rd hard drive to a caviar green, it will be fast enough for a back drive, and you could even change your 2nd harddrive to a caviar green but keep the first as a caviar black. Also traditional harddrive will not even fully utilise the 3Gb/s connection, and you will expierence a relatively small difference in speed between the caviar green and black. If youd dont need the card reader remove it, it will save you £5.