Check my spec

bokal

I am planning to by something like this and install Ubuntu or Mint on it. My monitor is a 4K 43'' Philips with DPx2 and HDMIx2 as input

My use is Development, Photo editing, Video editing, and light gaming. The 8TB disk is for holding 20 years of photos and other stuff so big but slow is on purpose. It is important to me that it is as silent as possible, and for practical reasons there are limitations to the case size, so not much bigger than what I have chosen. Budget aprox. what this will cost :).

Any input greatly appreciated.

Case
PCS SR-620C MID TOWER
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core CPU (3.1GHz-4.3GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ RX 570 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
8TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (op til 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORTS (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD+ STANDARD USB PORTS

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
What is your budget, that will help with any suggestions. The m2 you have chosen is quite slow, a Samsung would be the best option.

Stephen M

Author Level
Linux is fine with m2s. There have been problems in some laptops but this is because the BIOS has been locked down, I have not come across any problems with desk top builds.

bokal

That sounds good. I would probably not buy a PCS laptop for Linux, they seem very Windows-centric.

I think the Samsung's are very expensive, do you think it will make a great difference for the overall performance?

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
There will be some difference with a Samsung but whether that justifies the extra cost is a matter of opinion, I go with them because they are reliable as well as fast. I do not have any useful figures on how much quicker they are but there may be something here which is a great site for all things Linux: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

bokal

So I ended up ordering Samsung instead of Intel, and I went with 2 x 1TB instead of 2TB as I was planning to use half for system and half for /home anyway. Thanks for your advice, now I will just have to wait....

sidalvi

I am planning to by something like this and install Ubuntu or Mint on it. My monitor is a 4K 43'' Philips with DPx2 and HDMIx2 as input

My use is Development, Photo editing, Video editing, and light gaming. The 8TB disk is for holding 20 years of photos and other stuff so big but slow is on purpose. It is important to me that it is as silent as possible, and for practical reasons there are limitations to the case size, so not much bigger than what I have chosen. Budget aprox. what this will cost :).

Any input greatly appreciated.

Case
PCS SR-620C MID TOWER
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core CPU (3.1GHz-4.3GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ RX 570 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
8TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (op til 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORTS (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD+ STANDARD USB PORTS
Hey the NH-14s is huge fan, make sure the case in big enough

bokal

I chose the NH-14 for its cooling properties off cause, but also because of it being low noise. What could I use instead with a smaller footprint if needed?

Last edited:

bokal

Just an update.

I got my PC some time ago and it is perfect. I ended up installing Ubuntu 20.04 on it and it was a top contender for easiest OS install ever. The hole process was just a few minutes and everything worked!