Choice of monitor, G9 or 4K ?

Hi all,

I have a system being tested at the moment prior to dispatch which will come with a Nvidia 3080 GPU, Ryzen 9 5900x processor and plenty of RAM. I will order a new monitor which will be used for work, gaming and flight sims. The question is whether to go for a Samsung G9 or a standard aspect ratio 4k monitor ? The G9 is meant to be incredible but will not have that 4k detail.

Suggestions please.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

I have a system being tested at the moment prior to dispatch which will come with a Nvidia 3080 GPU, Ryzen 9 5900x processor and plenty of RAM. I will order a new monitor which will be used for work, gaming and flight sims. The question is whether to go for a Samsung G9 or a standard aspect ratio 4k monitor ? The G9 is meant to be incredible but will not have that 4k detail.

Suggestions please.
IMHO especially for flight sims, but really any gaming except for competitive FPS, the peripheral view that the G9 provides is just impossible to beat.

I have a 28” 4k and while it’s only 60hz, the resolution just didn’t wow me like I thought it would compared to 1440p. 1080p to 1440p was mind boggling.

But we do have a few members with the G9 in their systems, @Guilders , @Jamie85 and @steaky360 to name a few, perhaps they can offer better insight.

steaky360

I love my G9 and wouldn't want to go back to a normal resolution monitor (or two of), but its difficult for me to convey quite what its like to use.

When I got it and first started using it, the massive wide screen was a tiny bit jarring and it took a few days to get used to it. Simply put it is massive and (obviously?) VERY wide. I use the G9 for work too and find that I now prefer it to two separate monitors, it should be noted, as wide as it is, it is not as wide as three monitors. So if that's what you're used too for work then you might need to have a think.

Gaming on the monitor is excellent generally, for newer games it tends to work flawlessly, with older titles you might need to do a bit of tinkering to get it to fit to the resolution better (or play windowed) - but to be fair, your mileage will vary here and its likely some 'jiggery pokery' is required for a 4K monitor too.

I'm no sales rep, but if there's any specific queries you have about the G9 I'm happy to answer. I thought I'd uploaded a photo of my set up here somewhere but can't find it... my google-fu is failing me this morning :(

Thanks guys. I read that there are issues with Nvidia 30 series cards and 240Hz with Samsung. I guess there's no real degradation running at 120Hz until the issue gets patched. I'm edging towards the G9 but streaming 4k content is another consideration. I can always use the main TV for that so it's not a show stopper.

It's a high class problem :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks guys. I read that there are issues with Nvidia 30 series cards and 240Hz with Samsung. I guess there's no real degradation running at 120Hz until the issue gets patched. I'm edging towards the G9 but streaming 4k content is another consideration. I can always use the main TV for that so it's not a show stopper.

It's a high class problem :)
That was an original firmware issue on the G9, I believe that's been resolved as of late last year.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
G9 is the only option IMO. 4k is just mainstream, the G9 is new age nirvana.

I want one and I don't even game on a monitor!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
F4106E6F-B7F1-4078-9671-FEC63DD2AD82.jpeg