Choosing a new gaming monitor - Do I need 4K?

iMikez

I need to buy a new monitor for my new gaming laptop & ps5.

High refresh rate (at least 120hz) is needed (ideally 144hz).

But what about the resolution? Do I need to buy a 4K monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I need to buy a new monitor for my new gaming laptop & ps5.

High refresh rate (at least 120hz) is needed (ideally 144hz).

But what about the resolution? Do I need to buy a 4K monitor?
A 4k 144Hz monitor will set you back a minimum of £800, so it all depends on budget really?

PS5 can't do 1440p though, and depends what GPU you have as to weather the laptop will be able to push 4k.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I'd get a 4k monitor to optimise the ps5 then play with your laptop at 1080p resolution.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
Ive watched review just yesterday or day before and there was same question in the comment section at youtube in some review of gaming monitor, i think if monitor has input for hdmi 2.0b you will be able to push 120fps on 1440p on consoles or at least 60fps on 1440p even if its not supported and apparently it works

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ive watched review just yesterday or day before and there was same question in the comment section at youtube in some review of gaming monitor, i think if monitor has input for hdmi 2.0b you will be able to push 120fps on 1440p on consoles or at least 60fps on 1440p even if its not supported and apparently it works
The XBox Series X has 1440p support, just not the playstation.

It's not anything to do with the monitor, it's that the console actually doesn't have that resolution as an option at all.

iMikez

So turns out my workplace are able to supply me a monitor.

This is on their recommended list:

Is this a decent enough monitor or can anyone recommend something better around that price range? I don't mind if it's slightly more expensive that this. They are fairly flexible. Rather than me wasting money buying something unnecessary with my own money.

I'm more of a console gamer. Although I do want to start playing warzone on pc.

Or should I just get a G5 instead?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So turns out my workplace are able to supply me a monitor.

This is on their recommended list:

Is this a decent enough monitor or can anyone recommend something better around that price range? I don't mind if it's slightly more expensive that this. They are fairly flexible. Rather than me wasting money buying something unnecessary with my own money.

I'm more of a console gamer. Although I do want to start playing warzone on pc.

Or should I just get a G5 instead?
That's not a gaming monitor, has no variable refresh rate and low Hz, wouldn't recommend. The G5 would be far better for gaming.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
The XBox Series X has 1440p support, just not the playstation.

It's not anything to do with the monitor, it's that the console actually doesn't have that resolution as an option at all.
you are wrong, there are monitors which support console mode such as MSI Optrix mag274QF designed to downscale 4k content from the ps5 to 1440p

iMikez

Not really at 1440p. Some people would argue 32” starts to show the pixel density. 27” is optimum for 1440p, 32” is more for 4k
I really appreciate your advice by the way, thank you.

Will I have issues since I have an Nvidia gpu.

Because I think this monitor is freesync, am I right?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I really appreciate your advice by the way, thank you.

Will I have issues since I have an Nvidia gpu.

Because I think this monitor is freesync, am I right?
Freesync works with both AMD and Nvidia mate

Only Gsync I believe is restricted