Classics - Remind us of the ones that still make you move

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ooft what a thread this is.

A tune that ALWAYS gets me fired up is Cult of Personality. Played as loud as your ears can take it really is a fantastic adrenalin song.

I've got millions of cheesy ones though.

He's on the Phone immediately springs to mind but Sunshine after the Rain by Berri is in the mix too :D

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I'm starting to realise just how crazy and all over the place my tastes actually are. :) So far I am loving everything that has been posted here!

After listening to the Bee Gees and a bit of Beethoven, I now find myself turning to this - no nothing about him, only heard it recently but have returned to it a lot. I love the arrangement - the lyrics - the build up all the way through - I really like it.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
And then for a total curveball, because I am quite weird - a bit of US country Music - something which I generally detest. However The Chicks (formerly the The Dixie Chicks, but our modern society couldn't have that sort of brazen non-PC stuff going on - sigh) I really like and I have most of their albums.

With my Dad an US Army vet I find this one so simple and powerful. Anyone who has had military links in their blood I'd imagine would find the same. I find it hard to listen to without getting a bit tied up and needing an eyeball drying device.....but that's just me....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Actually I'm not staying too much in Classic mode here am I? Although the above will be one I will listen to for decades to come yet I think.....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The word 'classics' kinda means different things to different people. I have a lot of what would be called classical music favourites but I've stayed away from those for this. All of these are 'classic's in my view one way or another and all are fixtures on my 'favourites' playlist....

I'm only allowed five media items per post so that will have to do. :)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The word 'classics' kinda means different things to different people. I have a lot of what would be called classical music favourites but I've stayed away from those for this. All of these are 'classic's in my view one way or another and all are fixtures on my 'favourites' playlist....

That last one is a bit of a curveball @ubuysa ! I like it! :)

Right I better right my ship and get back to proper classics in the traditional sense. I do love this version, there are remastered cleaner versions of it too, but the rough nature of this recording adds to it somehow. Amazing to think the song itself was written 90 years ago this year!

Doesn't make me move per se - sway perhaps - but definitely smile....

Bigfoot

Grand Master

@ubuysa The Formula One theme tune has already been flagged by me (Fleetwood Mac - The Chain)😀

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The old one is the only one that counts. It seemed written for the purpose. Nothing else has come close.
Well the one I posted really WAS written for the purpose. When Liberty bought the rights to F1 from Bernice Ecclestone they commissioned Bryan Tyler to write an F1 theme. That's the one you hear before every race (and after if you watch long enough). It's the only official F1 theme. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just got reminded of this wonderful track, 6 Underground by The Sneaker Pimps:

Apparently they're just about to release their 4th album after a 19 year hiatus!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
6 Underground is a cracking track and being reminded of it made me delve into my mid 90s vault. Happened upon Stars, by Dubstar. I feel this one might have been sorely overlooked by those who sample...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, we've got guests round and everyone went to bed at 9pm after about 3 hours of solid eating. I attempted the night night but it wasn't happening, so giving this one a spin. Really is just such a great record.

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Is it just me that rates "Cast No Shadow" as one of their all time greatest songs? It barely gets a mention in reviews, I think it's such a knockout track.

And playing on last years lockdown present to myself, some very nice planar magnetic headphones, the Hifiman Sundara's which I haven't even broken in yet, just not really had the need for them. They are very nice though and will only get better.

IMG_1859.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

So, we've got guests round and everyone went to bed at 9pm after about 3 hours of solid eating. I attempted the night night but it wasn't happening, so giving this one a spin. Really is just such a great record.

Is it just me that rates "Cast No Shadow" as one of their all time greatest songs? It barely gets a mention in reviews, I think it's such a knockout track.

And playing on last years lockdown present to myself, some very nice planar magnetic headphones, the Hifiman Sundara's which I haven't even broken in yet, just not really had the need for them. They are very nice though and will only get better.

View attachment 26711

an underrated song but for me one of their best is masterplan

nice headphones and stand

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
and this is just a cool performance:love:

We had a good load of Queen on today.

Who Wants To Live Forever is probably my favourite track of theirs, found out it was actually written by Brian May in the backseat of a taxi after watching the first cut of the film. I never realised either that the album version has Brian May singing the first verse, then Freddie comes in for the rest. I’d only heard the soundtrack version where Freddie sings the lot.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

As one of the few mainstream bands playing guitar in my formative teenage years I used to love Oasis but I’ve grown to dislike them more and more as time goes on. I think the cocaine fuelled excess that was the ‘Be Here Now’ album inflicted a lot of damage and contributes to that opinion.

There’s also a legendary interview which reveals what a total berk Liam is. I won’t link it here as it contains a ton of fruity language but if you search for ‘Wibbling Rivalry’ on a well known video sharing site it’s on there.

But there’s no taking away that Noel has written a few cracking songs. The aforementioned Cast No Shadow and The Masterplan I agree 100% with.

A few that still get an occasional play from me are:

Columbia

Acquiesce

D’yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?

And there’s also a nice stripped down acoustic version of Stop Crying Your Heart Out with Noel on lead vocals.