Cleaning a Gaming PC

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Quick Question guys.

How often does people clean the inside of the gaming pc.. Or often are you suppose to clean inside

I clean inside Once a month.

Remove GPU and spray all over with compressed air can. Inside vents etc
Remove fans and clean both sides.
Remove Rams.

Then i clean motherboard down with a antistatic Brush and fibre cloth.

Is it too much cleaning inside once a month.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
If you're an obsessive cleaner like me, then once a month is brilliant. Most people I know would have a clean like that once, maybe twice at the most a year.

However, it's all subjective. If you live in a dusty house, you smoke, you've got furry pets, your PC's on a carpeted floor and not a desk or stand, you're going to need to clean it more often than others.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
If you're an obsessive cleaner like me, then once a month is brilliant. Most people I know would have a clean like that once, maybe twice at the most a year.

However, it's all subjective. If you live in a dusty house, you smoke, you've got furry pets, your PC's on a carpeted floor and not a desk or stand, you're going to need to clean it more often than others.
Yh. I dont like anything messy lol.. I Know every night before i go bed when i been on pc. I intend to clean all dust of my glass lol
Good job i have a clean house and i dont have pets and dont smoke and computer on desk lol. As i always clean house from top to bottom every single day as i dont like dust or mess lol

carlos726811

Bright Spark
I know when i gave my mate my old pc rig 2/3 month ago. I cleaned it all down for him 1st.

Couple days ago i went to his a noticed all dust gathering inside and on case. I ended up unplugging and cleaning it lol. ( Reason i did that because it was originally mine ) If it wasnt mine i would have left it

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I get out the bleach, marigolds and pressure washer out every three months. Good job I have platinum warranty as the bloody PC never seems to work after I've finished and I'm always sending the bloody thing back to PCS to be fixed. Still the CPU and GPU always ends up very shiny after the karcher has been at it for 10 minutes.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Had my PC not quite a week and a half and can almost write my name on the inside of the bottom of my case - the joys of an uber dusty house!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m a bad boy, I think about cleaning once a year, but as others will attest, that rarely happens. My current PC I cleaned out for the first time a few months ago since assembling in 2014. I wouldn’t recommend that, but gives you an idea of how robust they can be.

My laptop I’m far more diligent with as that is much more dependent on clean internals, I tend to dismantle it every six months or so.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I get out the bleach, marigolds and pressure washer out every three months. Good job I have platinum warranty as the bloody PC never seems to work after I've finished and I'm always sending the bloody thing back to PCS to be fixed. Still the CPU and GPU always ends up very shiny after the karcher has been at it for 10 minutes.
Do you use suds in the Karcher or just plain water? I'm interested to try this out..... :unsure:

Harag

Gold Level Poster
I tend to open mine every 6 months at least, I try for 4 months though if possible -- as we don't have carpets in our house, no pets / smokers etc it's fairly clean in side (yes there is some dust). the fans are the worse and I tend to just get a few cotton buds and wipe them clean.

As for compressed air -- I would never use that, the problem with those is that liquid could come out, and it's the last thing you want. As I'm still waiting for my beast of a PC (5900x + 3080) I'm actually thinking about buying a datavac thingy for 50-70 quid, as mentioned in another cleaning thread somewhere on here.

EDIT - Found it:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The enthusiast in me says every 6 months for the most part, it's a decent baseline.

The narcissist in me says all of you need to clean your PC every 6 months but mine will be fine until next month (repeated every month since 2019 when I built it).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Had my PC not quite a week and a half and can almost write my name on the inside of the bottom of my case - the joys of an uber dusty house!

This actually sounds a little like your fan balance is off. You would want a slightly positive pressure to expel dust from the case crevices while the dust filters should take care of what the fans draw in directly.

The outside of my case now appears gun-metal grey with a dust like texture all over. Internally, it actually looks pretty good.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This actually sounds a little like your fan balance is off. You would want a slightly positive pressure to expel dust from the case crevices while the dust filters should take care of what the fans draw in directly.

The outside of my case now appears gun-metal grey with a dust like texture all over. Internally, it actually looks pretty good.
Sounds similar to mine

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam

It might be. I've not done anything with the fans beyond use iCue to switch from quiet to balanced - as someone who has used laptops on cooling mats for years, the lack of volume on the quiet setting is eerily quiet and kinda creeped me out!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It might be. I've not done anything with the fans beyond use iCue to switch from quiet to balanced - as someone who has used laptops on cooling mats for years, the lack of volume on the quiet setting is eerily quiet and kinda creeped me out!

It's more the amount of intake fans vs the amount of exhaust fans. Ideally you want an AIO set to exhaust on a curve. You then want a reasonably static balance between the intake and the exhaust, favouring a slight positive pressure (to expel dust). This way, when the CPU ramps up, the system will go slightly negative pressure and the flow of the system will be directed efficiently.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It's more the amount of intake fans vs the amount of exhaust fans. Ideally you want an AIO set to exhaust on a curve. You then want a reasonably static balance between the intake and the exhaust, favouring a slight positive pressure (to expel dust). This way, when the CPU ramps up, the system will go slightly negative pressure and the flow of the system will be directed efficiently.
I guess I'll have to look into setting custom fan curves. :)