Clevo Build Quality

kam67

Enthusiast
Have read mixed reviews about Clevo-based chassises ( as opposed to say Alienware laptops):

A reoccurring theme seems to be that the cases are made from rather cheap, flimsy plastic. Then there is the issue of the screen being unsturdy, wobbling when keyboard is used. Another being that the clevo p170em and p370em get vey hot. There are also complaints about the speakers performing poorly.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

PS I am particularly interested in how far this applies to both the Vortex III and Vortex III elite.

Last edited:

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Have read mixed reviews about Clevo-based chassises ( as opposed to say Alienware laptops):

A reoccurring theme seems to be that the cases are made from rather cheap, flimsy plastic. Then there is the issue of the screen being unsturdy, wobbling when keyboard is used. Another being that the clevo p170em and p370em get vey hot. There are also complaints about the speakers performing poorly.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

PS I am particularly interested in how far this applies to both the Vortex III and Vortex III elite.

Here is a quick review l knocked up P170EM worth every penny..

Chassis is not cheap just understated :yes:
Screen on my system does not bounce about, the Benq XL2420T monitor moves when l type due to it standing higher.
Cooling is great, if you are unhappy with the gaps between the HSF then same speed tape goes a long way.
Speakers are not the best, however they do just fine for me, if you want multimedia quality choose a 2.1 system to go with it or some cheaky 5.1 speakers or headset.

Regards.

C.

Keithg

Enthusiast
I have just received an optimus4 from PCS and have been very impressed with the build quality.
The hinges seem very robust, i have the 17" screen and there is no movement when you alter the screen angle. There is very little flex in the keyboard or the chassis around.
If i were to mention 2 concerns:
One would be the track-pad or more specifically the buttons. Whether it is the sound of the click of the feel of the plastic but these do not seem to be as strong as I have seen on other laptops and a possible area of slight concern. Although the multi-touch pad itself is large and very good and I mostly use a mouse so am not that bothered.
The other would be the outer screen casing which gives a slight impression of cheaper plastic. This could be as a result of the brushed aluminium effect which subconsciously raises expectations, but again I would say that the screen is well mounted and the hinges are great.

A big plus for the chassis is the main body which give great access to all of the replaceable internals and fans. And the keyboard is very nice to type on which was a pleasant surprise, the full size arrow keys are good.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks for feedback guys - would an external sound card resolve any issues related to tinny audio?
Also, how do the vortex (p170em) and vortex elite (p370em) compare in terms of the chassis, cooling arrangements, quality of audio etc?

Last edited:

brukin

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for feedback guys - would an external sound card resolve any issues related to tinny audio?
Also, how do the vortex (p170em) and vortex elite (p370em) compare in terms of the chassis, cooling arrangements, quality of audio etc?

Yup, I'm now using the Asus USB sound card with it when sitting down to a serious session on my P150EM. Not had any issues with screen wobble. And not found it to be that hot (single GTX680M).
I'm now using it with a Logitech N200 cooling lapdesk thingy with a USB powered fan in it, but really that's to try and prevent the system fans from running louder than having any actual issue with the heat it generates. Other than the lack of bass from the audio (the sound actually comes over as quite crisp and clear) I've no problems with mines at all. Of course its not as fancily finished as an Apple machine, and its not using any fancy case materials but its more than robust enough and will kick the ass performance wise of a £2k+ retina macbook (plus if its for games, the macbooks 630/650M isn't going to drive that retina display at native res anyway). Not seen the default Vortex screen glossy panel so can't comment on how nice it is but I'm loving the Matt AUO 95% Gamut screen!

kam67

Enthusiast
Great - thanks for the input. Sounds promising and looking increasingly likely that my next gaming laptop will be a clevo from Pcspec
:)

P.S Brukin, isnt the Vortex iii (in your sig) based on the p170em clevo rather than the p150em?

Last edited:

brukin

Silver Level Poster
P.S Brukin, isnt the Vortex iii (in your sig) based on the p170em clevo rather than the p150em?
I can how it might be confusing since the 150EM only has 1 HD slot and I have two listed, but it's an mSata drive so fits into an additional slot that is housed under the main base plate of the laptop.
Definitely the 15.6" version as it fits tightly into my 15.6" laptop backpack :D

Can see where it fits in this thumbnail image:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFkOnlLfRvEzSNPQSya83nbakaJBKu68DjDQbf3P2Ln6RFl2jqOYzcyzLfSA
Left middle PCI-Express type card.

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
I can how it might be confusing since the 150EM only has 1 HD slot and I have two listed, but it's an mSata drive so fits into an additional slot that is housed under the main base plate of the laptop.
Definitely the 15.6" version as it fits tightly into my 15.6" laptop backpack :D

Can see where it fits in this thumbnail image:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFkOnlLfRvEzSNPQSya83nbakaJBKu68DjDQbf3P2Ln6RFl2jqOYzcyzLfSA
Left middle PCI-Express type card.

Sorry just overlooked the fact that the vortex III brand refers to the 150em as well as the 170em!

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
I've owned several Alienware laptops, and maybe it's just me having bad experiences with them, but ALL of them have had issues with their hinges, screens or keyboards. I have to say my Vortex lll is the best laptop chassis (And best performing laptop) I've ever bought.

It heats up a little more than I'd like, but no where near to the kind of discomfort of my old M11X and M14X