Cloning M.2 SSD

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi all,
Got a laptop with a M2 128gb SSD. I wish to replace it with a 500gb SSD. I don't have any windows installation discs (windows 10) and my idea is to clone the SSD but I need an external enclosure to do it as the laptop wouldn't take an additional drive. Would anyone be able to suggest a reliable external enclosure? I have been browsing on amazon but either they are not available or got negative reviews. Would there be an easier way to do it?
Thanks

Corby Trouser Press

Can't you make a backup image of the drive using Acronis, save it to an external HHD, swap the SSDs over, and then restore the image to the new drive? That's how I've always done it and never had any issues. Acronis is a great bit of kit.

nikedownky

It's an easy job to clone 128GB SSD to 500GB SSD without any issues. i have done it 3 days ago. you can try AOMEI Backupper.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't think the real question was the software to use, but how to connect the 2nd drive to clone from A to B, hence Spyder's suggestion of the Startech product.

That said, if Keynes had an external HDD he could have made an image with something like redo backup and recovery http://redobackup.org/, saved that to the external drive, swapped the SSDs over in the laptop, and then restored the backup from the ext HDD to the new drive, without needing to buy any new hardware.

Sorry for not suggesting that as an option sooner, it only just occurred to me :/

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't think the real question was the software to use, but how to connect the 2nd drive to clone from A to B, hence Spyder's suggestion of the Startech product.

That said, if Keynes had an external HDD he could have made an image with something like redo backup and recovery http://redobackup.org/, saved that to the external drive, swapped the SSDs over in the laptop, and then restored the backup from the ext HDD to the new drive, without needing to buy any new hardware.

Sorry for not suggesting that as an option sooner, it only just occurred to me :/

Yes, I was more interested on ways to do it externally with the drive i was planning to fit in. At the end I went for a bigger size SSD from the start rather than upgrading it myself. It seems cloning software is not recommended or supported by some laptop manufacturers plus the hassle of taking things apart.