CM 690 II case fans

wowcraftify

Gold Level Poster
Just a quick question, is it worth getting extra case fans on the Coolermaster 690 II case? It has 3 120mm fans default I think, I'm just finished configuring my mid-level gaming pc and am wondering if a front, rear & top case fan are enough to keep things cool. As a side note, how do I change the speed of my case fans without purchasing a fan controller?

steaky360

Depending on your motherboard you might be able to change them through either the bios or some other software (ASUS AI suite for example). As for whether its worth getting additional fans, I personally would have said yes without a doubt but I guess in reality it depends on your spec and use. If you are creating a higher end PC with components that will inevitably get hotter then it probably is yes purely so you get better intake/exhaust options (which is really all case fans do). If you are only going to use your PC for browsing the internet for example however, then it probably isn't worth it :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if it was rig, (for high end gaming) i'd certainly add some extra case fans. for a few reasons
- it looks cool haha
- if your components are cooler, apparently it will result in a longer lifespan.
- if things are cooler, then they are also quieter.
- you can have a hot gpu, that can heat up your whole system due to poor airflow. Such as lack of cool air getting to the gpu in the first place, OR the hot air coming off the gpu not being exhausted out the top of the case, and it kinda cycles around your cpu/top of mobo area.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I have the CM 690 II Advanced and honestly it stays pretty cool at stock. I only have 1 GPU in it at the moment but when idle my mobo/cpu both run at around 30 degrees (according to Asus Suite Fan Xpert), and under load they only go up to around 50 degrees. My gpu at the moment goes up to about 81 degrees under very heavy load i.e. Crysis 3 on max which is fairly normally for my GTX670, plus I need a good dust out inside anyway.

I'd say you'd be fine to start with and if you're really struggling you could install some yourself. As for controlling the fans I use Fan Xpert which came on Asus Suite which isn't too bad. Probably not as good as an external fan controller but it does the job :)