Cockpit Config

Enax

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that quick response.

I have followed your advice and changed my build as follows:

Case - Coolermaster Masterbox ( I wondered whether the Silencio might be better. I have no interest in this RGB nonsense! )

CPU - 5900X

Cooler - Coolermaster Liquid Lite 120

Memory - 2 X 16gb 3600Mhz

Graphics - 3060Ti ( It doesn't tell me how many Displays can be attached? I do need 4 )

Power - 1000W

M2 SSD - 2X 980 Samsung 980 ( as before )

This is priced at much the same as before. Does this make better sense?

Cheers NobbyH

You will need the Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX to cool the 5900x. Other than that it’s a very solid build. You can turn RGBs off it’s more about the airflow of the case that matters, RGB isn’t to everyone’s taste.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above. The selection of cooler is very important. You want a 280mm cooler as a minimum for the best performance.

I would contact pcs regarding the gpu output. Some may differ. Most high end cards would have 3dp and 1 hdmi.

NobbyH

Hi Scott, Many thanks again for your thorough advice.

Choosing the 5900X CPU and 32gb memory gives me a good -£250 delta, which could be soaked up on the better graphics card. Unfortunately the 3060Ti doesn't seem to be currently available at PCS, and the 3070Ti is not clear about its display attachments?
I think I will stick with the 3060 for now, and keep the money saved for a better graphics card later; moving the 3060 over to my secondary system.

With regard to Case and Cooling. I quite like the plain and simple CoolerMaster Silencio case, fitted with the Corsair H100X twin fan cooler. It allows space for a DVD drive which I find convenient. Is this a reasonable alternative combo to your suggestions?

Almost there! Cheers NobbyH

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Entirely up to yourself, I can only give advice... you will know better what feels better for your uses. It's not a bad choice to go for the 3060, it's just not the most fitting for your uses. Like I said, I'm pretty sure every card had 4 (3DP and 1HDMI) but it's very easy to check by asking PCS on the live chat.

If you want the minimalist look then the Define 7 paired with the H115i Capellix is the best option. You can also have a DVD drive with this case.

The Silencio isn't a good case for thermals either unfortunately.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Scott, Our last messages crossed paths!

I see you are a Mondeo Man! Owned two of those, and also two Cortinas before that!
"Behold the Ford Mondeo" is a bit of an in-joke mate

First time I've seen someone comment on it and made me laugh again :ROFLMAO:

NobbyH

Scott,

I totally agree my system deserves a better graphics card than the 3060, but for super performance of programs displaying on my desktop monitor eg FS2020. My cockpit rig is mainly looking out the window at clouds or the hazy ground from 30000 ft. there doesn't seem a performance problem with my old current graphics card ( GTX970 ) .

Your case/cooler suggestions knocks £105 off my £250 savings for the better graphics card - decisions, decisions !!!

Cheers Nobby|H

NobbyH

Scott, Me again.

Researched your case suggestion ( Devine 7 ) and although more expensive , I like it, so will go with it. I also had a look at the cooler ( Elite Capellix ) and was put off by the extra expense and all that RGB jiggery-pokery - not for me! Instead I will go with the much cheaper PCS FrostFree equivalent. Finally I decided that I should have a better graphics card than the RTX 3060, and decided on the AMD RX 6700XT. All other aspects are exactly to your suggested specs, many thank for all that. I will have a last chew over and probably order next week

Cheers NobbyH

Enax

Nobby,

I would really re-consider that choice with regards to the CPU cooler. Like Scott has already said you will be hampering the CPU if you don’t have sufficient cooling. The 5900X although a very thermal efficient processor still needs a good cooling solution. The H115i is expensive but I don’t understand why you would want to save money in this area considering how hot and damaging not having a decent CPU cooler could be. The PCS CPU coolers might be sufficient but I have looked high and low and can’t find a single article or evidence backed stats to back them up and that’s enough for me, personally, to avoid at all cost. The RGBs can be turned off so I wouldn’t worry about that. Just my personal opinion but I wouldn’t want your system to be hampered for the sake of £70, in the grand scheme of the build it’s not that much.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The frostflow can't cope with that Processor, it's in no way an equivalent cooler.

You'd need the h115i Pro or 150i Pro if you don't want RGB

NobbyH

Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments.

I think I may have misled you somewhat. My choice was the PCS FrostFree 360 one. ie 360mm with 3 X 120mm fans fitted in the top of the case, very similar to the H150 one but without the RGB gimmickry. Surely there can't be a massive difference in their cooling capabilities? Also can the two fan H115 really outperform the three fan PCS FrostFree?

Further, would I be right in presuming that the 2 Corsair H150 coolers are equal in cooling, but the Elite Capellix has more RGB function than the PRO XT for a slightly higher price?

Cheers NobbyH

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I think I may have misled you somewhat. My choice was the PCS FrostFree 360 one. ie 360mm with 3 X 120mm fans fitted in the top of the case, very similar to the H115 one but without the RGB gimmickry. Surely there can't be a massive difference in their cooling capabilities?

Cheers NobbyH
Huge difference unfortunately.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

I think I may have misled you somewhat. My choice was the PCS FrostFree 360 one. ie 360mm with 3 X 120mm fans fitted in the top of the case, very similar to the H115 one but without the RGB gimmickry. Surely there can't be a massive difference in their cooling capabilities?

Cheers NobbyH
yeah there can be

They have different pumps, different fans, different radiator.

One is from an established hardware creator that's very very favorably reviewed the other has practically zero information about it

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
FrostFlow make coolers for lots of system integrators who then put their own branding on them. My guess is that it will work ok, but its cooling effectiveness, noise level and reliability will all be significantly inferior to the Corsair alternative.

Sadly PCS don't really do any high quality non-RGB coolers.

NobbyH

OK Guys, you're twisting my arm and making me break my £2600 limit by £21. I will go with the Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT. I am presuming this is completely equivalent to the Elite Capellix without the fancy RGB stuff?

Cheers NobbyH

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
OK Guys, you're twisting my arm and making me break my £2600 limit by £21. I will go with the Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT. I am presuming this is completely equivalent to the Elite Capellix without the fancy RGB stuff?

Cheers NobbyH
Broadly. There's some suggestion that the pump may be slightly upgraded, but I'm not aware of any substantial difference in effectiveness. The H150i is a great cooler.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Broadly. There's some suggestion that the pump may be slightly upgraded, but I'm not aware of any substantial difference in effectiveness. The H150i is a great cooler.
Fully concur, whilst the capellix is likely better, we're talking my a gnats hair in incremental improvements.