COD Black ops and GPU

Stumpykins

Bronze Level Poster
So I have a 3080 , been playing black ops Cold War and it’s been crashing my pc saying fatal error and then a string of numbers .After l did some checking I discovered this is a problem many are having . Some suggested manually changing fan speed as overheating of gpu could be the issue . This is what I have done and now the game has stopped crashing .
My question is basically for all new graphic intensive games , especially since I’m playing at 4K , should i not be relying on the gpu to automatically adjust its fan speed ? Would it be better for me to simply before starting a game go into afterburner and manually crank it up to 70% and then start playing.
I’m a noob and concernsed that leaving it on manual, if it’s a heat issue could ruin my gpu .
Thanks .

Edit: watch your language please.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can you not create application-specific fan profiles from within your motherboard or GPU controller software?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd assume the GPU should adjust to it's requirements, but if it's only on one game, maybe the GPU tuning software has got the calibration/config wrong in the profile for this title...or maybe there's something app-specific in the GPU manufacturer's software that can be changed/updated to fix it?

What make of card is it?

Have you downloaded/installed the 'tuning' software for it?

Last edited:

Stumpykins

Bronze Level Poster
I'd assume the GPU should adjust to it's requirements, but if it's only on one game, maybe the GPU tuning software has got the calibration/config wrong in the profile for this title...or maybe there's something app-specific in the GPU manufacturer's software that can be changed/updated to fix it?

What make of card is it?

Have you downloaded/installed the 'tuning' software for it?
its palit

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There's a piece of Palit software called 'Palit Thundermaster' that you can use to play around with temp/fan curves and colours (if your model has them - mine's a Zotac and is just white lighting :confused: )

I've never used it myself, so don't know how good/simple it is - you may need to read the instructions of a user forum for help on it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Probably if I was more tech savvy .

am I right though , leaving the gpu to manually adjust is a bad idea ?
No, the GPU will manage it's fans completely automatically, there should be no need to manually adjust the fan curve unless you want lower operating temps, but that's certainly not necessary.

Make sure your GPU drivers are up to date as earlier ones allowed too high an automatic overclock which led to crashes of the GPU, that's nothing to do with temps though.

Gavras

Master Poster
Try a couple of other new games that are fairly intensive.

if you look on Steam and Epic, there are a few free games you could try.

also what is your pc cooling like?

no matter what you do, your graphics card is also reliant on ambient case temperatures.

personally, this is more likely to be a game software fault, it’s a newly released game and would expect a few patches before majority are stable.

as @SpyderTracks says make sure you use the very latest drivers, these tuned down the 3000 cards due to potential hardware issue causing the cards to crash.