COD Warzone - 240 FPS?

NAZty

Hi All,

Never owned a gaming PC before and more recently have been a casual console player but since lockdown I've been playing COD Warzone daily (PS4) which has opened my eyes to the world of gaming PC's and how superior they are compared to consoles. PS4/Xbox achieve around 60FPS in Warzone which is a huge disadvantage when coming up against PC players with a decent setup and it's what got me looking into getting a gaming PC.
The recent news of the PS5/Xbox X supporting up to 120FPS going forward bridges the gap quite a lot and now has me thinking is it worth spending x amount for only say 30-40 extra FPS. How much would you expect to pay to on a gaming PC (excluding monitor) to achieve around 240FPS on a game like Warzone?

Thanks

NAZty

Thanks for the quick reply! I've watched a few vids on YT and I can only see £3K+ setups being able to achieve that sort of FPS which I can't justify paying to play one game lol I wouldn't have minded spending around £1500 to go from 60FPS to 144FPS.

Maybe the answer is to wait a year or so once 240FPS hardware is substantially cheaper and the gap between consoles and PC is back to where it was prior to these new gen consoles coming out?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I agree with all that @Nursemorph says. It's not just about how quickly your brain can assimilate the image. It's also then how fast your brain is to fire off the neurotransmission to a synapse which in turn sends the message to your muscles. So unless you've got superhuman reflexes, it's largely pointless to be pushing that amount of frames.

NAZty

Thanks both - didn't think about it like that at all to be honest and it does make a lost of sense. I did see some bits on the brain not really seeing the difference past 144FPS but naively didn't pay it much attention.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s not so much the FPS that makes a difference between PC gamers and consoles anyway, although it does have a slight advantage, but the significant improvement is the controls and motion mechanics. Mouse and keyboard on PC is lightning fast at reactions compared to controller. Even using mouse and keyboard on a console, you’re still limited by the motion mechanics of that platform.

FPS is obviously beneficial but most people won’t notice any difference at all over 120 FPS anyway.

NAZty

It’s not so much the FPS that makes a difference between PC gamers and consoles anyway, although it does have a slight advantage, but the significant improvement is the controls and motion mechanics. Mouse and keyboard on PC is lightning fast at reactions compared to controller. Even using mouse and keyboard on a console, you’re still limited by the motion mechanics of that platform.

FPS is obviously beneficial but most people won’t notice any difference at all over 120 FPS anyway.

I thought FPS makes a huge difference? See the vid below.

From what I understand you basically see things quicker than those with lower FPS which is really important in games like Warzone or any first person shooter. I think up until these new gen consoles were released console players were at a disadvantage as you’d only get 60FPS whereas PC players would generally have 100+.

I think controller vs keyboard/mouse is personal preference. I’ve seen a lot of really good pro players using controller and equally as many using keyboard/mouse.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought FPS makes a huge difference? See the vid below.

From what I understand you basically see things quicker than those with lower FPS which is really important in games like Warzone or any first person shooter. I think up until these new gen consoles were released console players were at a disadvantage as you’d only get 60FPS whereas PC players would generally have 100+.

I think controller vs keyboard/mouse is personal preference. I’ve seen a lot of really good pro players using controller and equally as many using keyboard/mouse.
Yes, it makes a difference obviously, but only IF you're one of the 1% who can actually see it.

Most people can't see anything over 120Hz.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's not about personal preference, it's about the game mechanics.

With controller and mouse, or keyboard and mouse on console, you have to track to a place, you can't just go there, you move the joystick to that area and the game mechanics track to that point... and it's incredibly slow.

With computer, you just flick the mouse, there's no tracking, it goes there as fast as your mouse does, so about 1ms with most gaming mice. There's almost zero delay.

Gavras

Master Poster
Oh that’s a surprise Nvidia saying you need a 240hz monitor...

Son plays online shooter, gets fragged.

mummy I need a 240hz monitor.

Mummy buys 240hz monitor.

Son plays online shooter gets fragged.

Son realises 240hz monitors are great but 13mb internet and being crap don’t really help.

NAZty

Yes, it makes a difference obviously, but only IF you're one of the 1% who can actually see it.

Most people can't see anything over 120Hz.

I take your point re 120+ but if we are talking 60 vs 120 then there’s obviously a big difference there.

NAZty

It's not about personal preference, it's about the game mechanics.

With controller and mouse, or keyboard and mouse on console, you have to track to a place, you can't just go there, you move the joystick to that area and the game mechanics track to that point... and it's incredibly slow.

With computer, you just flick the mouse, there's no tracking, it goes there as fast as your mouse does, so about 1ms with most gaming mice. There's almost zero delay.

Yeah I agree but just pointing out that there’s equally as good controller players out there but definitely fewer.

I enjoy controller so think I’d stick with that it was more the computer performance advantage I was after.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I agree but just pointing out that there’s equally as good controller players out there but definitely fewer.

I enjoy controller so think I’d stick with that it was more the computer performance advantage I was after.
There's no point in a PC if you're playing with a controller, the FPS benfits will be cancelled out by the slow response of a controller.

I would just get one of the new consoles which play at 120fps.

NAZty

There's no point in a PC if you're playing with a controller, the FPS benfits will be cancelled out by the slow response of a controller.

I would just get one of the new consoles which play at 120fps.

Yeah as you guys have pointed out that over 144fps can’t really be utilised I think the gap has now been bridged with the new gen consoles. I’ve already got a PS5 on preorder but was strongly considering a gaming PC for the FPS.

If it was say PS4 60fps vs PC 120fps using controller, you don’t think the PC would have the advantage?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah as you guys have pointed out that over 144fps can’t really be utilised I think the gap has now been bridged with the new gen consoles. I’ve already got a PS5 on preorder but was strongly considering a gaming PC for the FPS.

If it was say PS4 60fps vs PC 120fps using controller, you don’t think the PC would have the advantage?
No, the limitation is the controller. You can only move the cursor at a set speed which is far slower than using mouse and keyboard.