Code 97 load vga bios

MrFarquar

This evening my PC shut down while I was Recording gameplay and the motherboard is showing "Code 97 load vga bios". The mother board lists up and goes through the start up until it reaches this stage, the monitor doest register and image, it is connected to the GPU via Digital Image cable. The GPU lights up and all the fans are working. And the AIO is lit up and working. Nothing in there is remotely warm.
The mouse lights up but the keyboard doesn't.
I've have turned it off at the mains 4 times each time leaving for at least 10 minutes.

This PC only arrived on the 11th of this month its only 2 weeks old. Nothing has been touched or changed inside, this was only the second time I've opened the case since removing the packaging.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. You don't spend £3k on a PC and expect it to die in 14 days.

I'll list the specifications below.

PC Specifications:
Operating system : Windows 11
Processor : i9 10900X
Grapthics Card : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 ti 12gb
Memory : Corsair 32gb DDR4 3600mhz (x2 16gb)
Motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II
CPU Cooling : PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooling
Storage : 512gb Intel 670p M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4TB HHD.

MrFarquar

can you post the full spec from your order page
Sure...

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY 2 LIGHT TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3000MB/sR | 1600MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fans
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

Dan.C

Bronze Level Poster
It sounds like a faulty gpu or motherboard. Have you another system you can check the 3080 in? Or another GPU you can try in the motherboard?

If not I would
Reset CMOS
Change PCIE Lane for the graphics card.
Boot with 1 stick ram and GPU only, try a second memory module if the first fails to boot.
Re try booting after each step.

If none of those works and all connections are secure etc I would ring PCS

MrFarquar

It sounds like a faulty gpu or motherboard. Have you another system you can check the 3080 in? Or another GPU you can try in the motherboard?

If not I would
Reset CMOS
Change PCIE Lane for the graphics card.
Boot with 1 stick ram and GPU only, try a second memory module if the first fails to boot.
Re try booting after each step.

If none of those works and all connections are secure etc I would ring PCS
Thanks
Unfortunately I'm not that tech savy and haven't a clue what that is or how to do it. Thats why I went with PCS and Not build one myself. I k ow what I needed for what I run and do. I'll do some Googling to understand what you just said. 🤣 I wanted to lean more about this stuff but not quite like this.
The cabling is super tight in there with little no wiggle room. I'd be concerned my massive hands would break it more.
I'll go have a fiddle.

Thanks for taking the time though.

Dan.C

Bronze Level Poster
I'm away from my PC at the minute so unable to provide pictured instructions or I could make them a little clearer.

You should have a little led screen giving you a code on the motherboard, it's probably the easiest place to start and doesn't require very much hands on.

I'll link the code table now

However everything I mentioned is pretty generic and a quick Google should provide clear instructions.The only one would be the CMOS reset which you will find in the manual below. If however your still nervous,which is understandable, I'd take advantage if the warranty and have PCS talk you through your options.

Last edited:

MrFarquar

It's available on the ASUS site aswell if the above link does not work.

The codes in the online manual are on page A1 under Q Code Table
Thanks chap.
I went through the coms reset steps, after you first mentioned it, little help from Google. I wasn't confident removing the GPU, cables are in there so tight and stiff. Called PCS and they advised returning it.
Anyone know how long returns take to approve?
Not too keen on having a £3,000 paperweight, especially when I've work I should be doing.
I went through the online process and received the automated response, but still no confirmation, its been 30 hours.