Compact Dolby digital headset for mobile gaming

Gazzafaegreenock

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

After the recent purchase of my vortex 3E for mobile gaming I'm after a compact headset to, but I can't find one, do does know of a set that's small & compact and has Dolby digital?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I don't think any are small and compact, as digital headsets require a decoder box as well as the actual headset.

have you got a optical port on ya laptop? Also you will need a external soundcard, otherwise you wont actually get dolby digital. As its the soundcard that encodes the sound into DD then the decoder that gives you DD. If that makes sense.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well I have a pair of these - http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/axpro.asp

Not ideal for mobile gaming, well impossible as it requires a power plug. Also they are quite big, as they have a few drivers/speakers in each ear cup.

BUT to get DD in game you MUST have
- A DD encoder - internal or external soundcard - without this you will not get Dolby Digital 5.1, Note a onboard audio is not considered a soundcard.
- A DD decoder - to decode the DD signal from the soundcard, usually comes with the digital headset.

Personally, I dont think its going to be very mobile or even ideal, as you are going to have a alot of extras plugged in, soundcard into pc via optical port, then on to the decoder, then to the headset, - lots of cables.

If i were you id got for a standard headset.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
the only media that doesnt require a encoder - (soundcard) and a decoder - (comes with digital headset) is Dvd's as Dolby 5.1 Is already recorded onto the CD - But you will still need a DD 5.1 digital headset and decoder.

So you would be able to watch dvd's with Dolby 5.1, providing your headset/decoder can handle that.

But it will not convert games/music/other media into DD 5.1, as onboard sound just cant do it digitally. Unless you buy a external sound card and a digital headset.

You could get yourself a normal gaming 5.1 headset, (analogue connection) but this wont give you DD 5.1, but you may be able to get pro logic II (is 5.1 but not to the standard of DD, depending on the headset) You will also have to check if the connections on the headset connect with the connections on the laptop. This is what I would do in your situation.

If you 100% want DD5.1 then, ya have to fork out for a external soundcard (check its DD5.1 certified) and a digital gaming headset (again check if DD certified)