Comparisons With These Two Laptops

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Okay, I have posted a new spec at the bottom taking into consideration all of your advice.

@ Ninjax: so you obviously think the Vortex with a better graphics card sings your praises?

@moorw003: I have sorted out another spec below that includes the AMD 7970. It does seem more sense to spend out another £72 on a graphics card with a laptop such as this. Why is the Kingston memory cheaper than the Samsung? Is one better than the other and in what sense?

@ Wake: why would you go for a matte over a glossy screen? I have a glossy screen on a Dell that I have at the moment and it looks great although I do not play games on this one, I will admit. Also, what do you mean by 'I would go for the 300Mbps?' Where would I look for that on the configurator?

Why don't I need a 240 GB SSD and a 750 GB conventional 7200 drive? This laptop has got to last me at least the next 4 years, be future proof and very fast. So the i7 3840 is very fast, is it not?

@ Steaky360: yes I could use external speakers but I need the setup as simple as possible without any wires leading to speakers because of the way I am situated in bed with the laptop across me on a specially made table. I noticed on the configurator that the Vortex has 4 x Onkyo high-quality speakers and a built-in subwoofer. This is definitely better than what the Optimus has.

One other question, how many fans does the Vortex have and would I possibly need a cooling stand?

Cheers

Product Category Product Description
Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE
(7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
(£5)
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Price Ex VAT £1420.83
Price £1705.00
Quantity 1
Total Order Price EX VAT £1420.83
Total VAT Amount £284.17
Total Order Price £1705.00

Last edited:

moorw003

In the real world, the Hyper Genesis and Samsung won't provide much difference in performance. But it does have a lower latency and is considered the premium product, although as I say there's not much in it.

In nearly all specifications the Samsung is cheaper but in 8x2 Genesis comes out cheaper (don't know why), so that's a no brainer.

The processor is expensive, but it's definitely future proof. The base I7 is a great processor at a sweet financial point and the further up the tree you go they get more expensive with limited gain. But whereas the XM is ridiculously over-priced, the 3840QM does have a place in the market.

The hard drives don't seem excessive, I think the point that was being made above is 120gb is enough for a sizeable amount of important programmes, but if you have the extra £100-150 to spend, there's no doubt it's worth it.

The 300mbps the poster is referring too is the wireless card. If your wireless connection is good, the £9 upgrade to the 6235 can improve speeds.

Matte Screens don't reflect, if the lights are glossy screens reflect badly sometimes. I prefer matte screens for this reason, but it's one of those things where opinions vary that is why you get the choice and they cost the same. It's all personal preference.

Can't deny that does look like a lush spec. Only things I'd really consider is changing to the 6235 wireless card and possibly adding the better thermal paste.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
In the real world, the Hyper Genesis and Samsung won't provide much difference in performance. But it does have a lower latency and is considered the premium product, although as I say there's not much in it.

In nearly all specifications the Samsung is cheaper but in 8x2 Genesis comes out cheaper (don't know why), so that's a no brainer.

The processor is expensive, but it's definitely future proof. The base I7 is a great processor at a sweet financial point and the further up the tree you go they get more expensive with limited gain. But whereas the XM is ridiculously over-priced, the 3840QM does have a place in the market.

The hard drives don't seem excessive, I think the point that was being made above is 120gb is enough for a sizeable amount of important programmes, but if you have the extra £100-150 to spend, there's no doubt it's worth it.

The 300mbps the poster is referring too is the wireless card. If your wireless connection is good, the £9 upgrade to the 6235 can improve speeds.

Matte Screens don't reflect, if the lights are glossy screens reflect badly sometimes. I prefer matte screens for this reason, but it's one of those things where opinions vary that is why you get the choice and they cost the same. It's all personal preference.

Can't deny that does look like a lush spec. Only things I'd really consider is changing to the 6235 wireless card and possibly adding the better thermal paste.

Okay I will change the wireless card. What will the better thermal paste do? Is it just another safeguard to keep it cool?

Is it also advisable to get a cooling stand for a laptop like this?

Also, do you or anybody else know how many fans the Vortex has?

Is a 120GB or even 180GB SSD generally enough for most people for just putting applications on? I could save a bit more by just having this instead of the larger SSD but what is the general consensus on this?

Cheers

Last edited:

Wake

Silver Level Poster
Depends what you use the laptop for I guess. I keep everything on my desktop so I need the 1T storage but I just have a 60 GB SSD for booting and Windows. I am not bothered about loading times in games. The laptop I have ordered I was going with a 240 GB mechanical 5400 drive and that's it but settled on a 320GB one at 7200 rpm. The reason being is I don't trust SSDs - my desktop has been back 4 times with failed SSDs. Also, all that will be on my laptop is Warcraft, GW2 and Half Life 2 - oh, possibly ITunes for my Southpark episodes.

The 300 Mbps thing is about connectivity as explained. I have BT Infinity 2 and want the best speed I can get out of my router - 300 seemed the best one to go for as I play wirelessly whilst the wife games on the Chillblast.

Matte screen - it's been said. I don't care for matte screens myself but I play with the lights off - call me off but I turn the sound off also. I play music I like when I game. You might be best off with a Matte screen given your earlier posts.

Ninjax

Bronze Level Poster
yeah I wouldnt go with ssd either , I was thinking about 750gig hybrid , (but havent done any research on it yet) ,
so maybe I will go with a 1tb , and another 1tb when I get more $ , lol .
and I would def go with the standard matte too, since I notice the glare from lights and sun, its very annoying imo ,

Wake

Silver Level Poster
Of course, the most important thing is if I had an SSD in the laptop I wouldn't have time to make the Mrs her tea on a Sunday morning at 4.00 am when she gets up to mine and I get herbing. It would be a life-changing experience I don't think I am ready for and am pretty sure she isn't either. The Desktop loads in 25 seconds if that - too quick for my brain to register at my age and that time. Change is an alien concept, especially if it's in a 2.5 inch small, but (allegedly) perfect package.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Right, I have gone back and studied everything. First of all (and I'm sorry to keep harping on about it but it is relevant) I am disabled and so the laptop stays virtually in one position all the time. If I want to game, I can easily have the light turned off (as Wake suggested) and I will never use it in the sunlight

I've always been told that having a SSD would be an advantage for loading your most used programs more quickly. In my case this would be speech recognition that I use in every session and Microsoft Word to name but two. Also, they should not go wrong as they have no moving parts. Having said that, it seems that Wake has had some bad luck with them but that doesn't deter me from having one. I have changed one thing though and that is the size. Instead of a 240GB SSD, I have downsized to a 180GB SSD.

Should this be enough for most people? I know some of you are going to say 'it depends what you are going to put on it.' I am just asking the general question of that size being enough in most cases. So my final (hopefully, unless anyone else can suggest I need this or that as well) specification is shown below. I feel a lot happier now because it is future proof as I can upgrade some of the components should I need to in the future.

Cheers

Product Category Product Description
Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 180GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE
(7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) +
BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
(£5)
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Price Ex VAT £1383.33
Price £1660.00
Quantity 1
Total Order Price EX VAT £1383.33
Total VAT Amount £276.67
Total Order Price £1660.00

Last edited:
Man, that looks sweet. That is basically my dream laptop right there, if only I could afford it.

My only suggestion would be to maybe add in the basic (30-day?) dead pixel guarantee, so that if you should be unlucky enough to get a faulty display, you can have that fixed for free. If that's not a concern, then I'd say you're good to go.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Man, that looks sweet. That is basically my dream laptop right there, if only I could afford it.

My only suggestion would be to maybe add in the basic (30-day?) dead pixel guarantee, so that if you should be unlucky enough to get a faulty display, you can have that fixed for free. If that's not a concern, then I'd say you're good to go.

I know this may sound a stupid question, but if after 30 days I get a faulty display, surely that's covered by the one-year guarantee for parts is it not?

Surely PCS would fix it anyway if there was a problem within 30 days in this area, wouldn't they?

Cheers

Wake

Silver Level Poster
If I get my laptop and I get as much as a pixel out of place within 30 days it will be replaced or I will have a refund - fact. It should be the same for everyone.

steaky360

After 30 days I imagine PCS would stick to their T&C's with regards to warranty returns for screen defects, one pixel may not constitute a failure. Best to ask them about it though.

Wake you are correct for class one displays only as far as I am aware (fortunately I would imagine the displays offered by pcs are class one)

Wake

Silver Level Poster
If there is something wrong with a purchase I make within 30 days I am either getting my money back or getting a replacement that is acceptable to me - I am 46 - that is the way it has always been and I am too old to change.

steaky360

Haha aye my point though is if its class 2 (and advertised as such), you may find it more difficult if there was only say, 1 pixel damaged. Of course I am specifically referring to displays. Doubt this applies to toasters etc :)

Wake

Silver Level Poster
Correct - but one person's 'Difficulty' is another person's 'Big Fun City'...too much time on my hands I guess.

steaky360

Kinda hard to argue with a seller who tells you the product could be faulty before you buy it though ;)

However my apologies to the op, I have totally digressed from the original point of the thread. I'll stop...

Wake

Silver Level Poster
The customer is right 99% of the time even when it is wrong. Companies know that and like to keep customers sweet - especially now...instantaneous communication about issues doesn't reconcile with growth and increased sales.