Computer restarting

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

My specs

Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Partitions: 1000GB
2nd Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
down_right_arrow.gif
Partitions: 2000GB
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Processor CoolingCorsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Last few days i have been playing RDR2 and have been getting crashing issue which i believe is the game. I then purchased NFS Heat, for RDR2 i had to upgrade to the newer Nvidia game ready driver. Ever since, when i play either RDR2 or NFS Heat 10-30mins in, my whole computer restarts. I havent tried any other game yet but i think its going to do the same thing.

I have tried doing a clean install of the older Nvidia driver but it has not resolved issue. Noticed there was new windows updates, done them still same issue.
Checked all other hardware drivers and they are all up to date.

Tried looking in 'Event viewer' but all it states is that it rebooted, no clues to what is causing it.
Temps of CPU / GPU stay at 60-70 degrees when playing the games - tried turning down settings but same issue.

Any ideas??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Might be worth firstly checking your BIOS version on the Mobo, there have been 2 critical updates which improve compatibility.

If it's out of date, DONT UPDATE IT YOURSELF, call PCS first and go through it with them. I know it's annoying but it's necessary to retain warranty.

Also, there's recently been a ginormous update for RDR2 https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/14/red-dead-redemption-2-1-14-pc-patch-stuttering-crash-fixes/

Worth installing that if you haven't already.

Temporarily disconnect any USB devices also.

Try running in Safe Mode and see if the crashes happen in there? https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-boot-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode-

When you say it restarts, is there a bluescreen or any beeps? May be worth installing BlueSceenView https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html and checking if there have been some bsods. That may tell you the faulting component.

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
I have no idea how to check my BIOS version and will PCS remote on to do it ? (checked its 1201)

I have updated RDR2, can i still load a game up on safe mode ?

When it re-boots the fan go quite load i think that is to push all the hot air out and then it goes normal again.
It is really weird when i first got my PC it has been fantastic, literally only started doing it yesterday...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have no idea how to check my BIOS version and will PCS remote on to do it ? (checked its 1201)

I have updated RDR2, can i still load a game up on safe mode ?

When it re-boots the fan go quite load i think that is to push all the hot air out and then it goes normal again.
It is really weird when i first got my PC it has been fantastic, literally only started doing it yesterday...
Latest BIOS is 1404. And it has an important update in it, I'd say it's worth contacting PCS.

They can definitely remote in if required, I'm sure, I know they've done it for other people.

Until then though, try BlueScreenView and see if that outputs any BSOD codes.

The thing is, you're on a cutting cutting edge platform with a cutting edge CPU, there will be many updates to address little bugs here and there for the first 6 months or so of release. So it will just get better and better.

The other thing to try is to install DDU and uninstall your display drivers completely, then reboot and install the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia.

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I will contact them, hoping that will fix it.
Blue screen view does not report anything because my pc does not blue screen like a usual crash would, it just reboots.

I have also tried that with DDU, I'll try it again with the latest driver possibly but when I originally upgraded to it, it didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks for the things to try.
Any more would be great haha

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows is configured by default to automatically restart if a 'system error' occurs, this is most likely what's happening to you. These are errors which the error recovery routines have trapped but from which they can't recover, so the system restarts. These errors differ from BSODs in that the latter (BSODs) happen when the error recover routines are not available because the processor is running privileged code.

I would check in the Event Log to see what errors were logged at the time of the restart. There really should be errors logged in there because it's the error recover routines that restarted the PC. If there really are no logged errors then it's likely the restart was for a different reason, possibly the BIOS updates which SpyderTracks mentions.

Check the Event Log first though....

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
It is really strange, i changed my mouse because for some time now it has been having a double clicking issue & just not working sometimes (it is on the latest firmware) and i thought i had an old corsair one i could try. Ive been playing RDR2 for 40mins or so and no reboot has happend yet. I checked back at when it did reboot and found this in event viewer (see attached). Could this be relating to my mouse? i do have other corsair hardware...

Attachments

• evnt view.PNG
    evnt view.PNG
    58.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would not expect that error to result in a restart.

It would be more useful to display the overview & summary page with the Critical and Error categories expanded (as shown below). You then need to look closely at errors in those two categories that occurred at the same time as your restart.

All that said, you do seem to be reporting a largish number of problems with your system so the fastest way to a stable system will quite probably be to do a clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media (don't use Windows Reset) deleting all existing UEFI partitions and allowing Windows Update to install all drivers.

If there are problems with your existing Windows installation then you could be chasing your tail for days trying to tracks down the root cause of these issues.

Clipboard01.jpg

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
Okay thanks in that view i have found one called VSS it states that something cannot be started so shutdown is in progress... but that does not seem to have been recorded every time my PC has rebooted.
Found that there is an application fault recorded everytime?

I only got he PC a month ago.. :/ - I am not sure what you mean by doing the re-install deleting all existing UEFI partitions? would this be something PCS could help me do ?

Never mind with another mouse its happend but was playing for 1hour+.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    40.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 138

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
will quite probably be to do a clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media (don't use Windows Reset) deleting all existing UEFI partitions and allowing Windows Update to install all drivers.

am not sure what you mean by doing the re-install deleting all existing UEFI partitions? would this be something PCS could help me do ?
You can DIY. It means you make a Windows installation media from here:

Then boot from the USB drive you just made. i.e. restart the PC and once it has shut down, and before it has started again, press F2 or Del repeatedly until it brings up the BIOS - then select to boot from the USB drive. Once you're in the BIOS it's a point-and-click affair, very easy.

Follow the steps to install Windows. And when you get to this bit:
1573815159436.png

Delete every partition on your Windows drive, until all there is is "unallocated space"

And then follow the wizard to install Windows

And once you're in Windows, run Windows update only to get your drivers. Don't install any driver boosters, tune up tools, other software packages, etc.

I only got he PC a month ago.. :/
Which warranty option did you get? The completely standard one or the £5 upgrade for the 1 year carriage costs cover?

If you got the standard 1 month carriage costs cover, and you're still within 1 month of purchase, I'd log this with PCS asap so that if it were a hardware issue and you needed to send it back you can ask for them to cover the costs as the fault was within 1 month.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That first one is potentially quite serious and probably could cause a system restart. It's a failure of the desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) but the failure has been detected in ntdll.dll which is a component of the Windows kernel - so that could well be a problem.

To do a clean reinstall do the following...

1. Backup all your user data, including bookmarks etc. All data on the system drive will be erased during a reinstall.

2. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the Windows Media Creation Tool.

3. Plug in an 8GB (min) USB stick - all data on this stick will be erased - and run the media creation tool. Tell the tool to download an ISO file for installation on another computer (don't select upgrade this computer) and point the tool at the USB stick. This will create bootable Windows installation files on the USB stick.

4. Boot that USB stick. You may need to press a Fn key to select the USB stick as a boot device or enter the BIOS setup to select the USB stick as the boot device.

5. When the stick has booted click the big Install button. Select a custom install, delete all four of the UEFI partitions on your system drive - these are named System or MSR, Recovery, EFI or Boot, Primary or Windows - they should be the only partitions on your system drive.

6. Select the 'unallocated space' that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows.

7. Once Windows is installed you will go through the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) process where you specify language, region, userids and the various telemetry settings. Take your time here and be sure you understand what each screen is telling you before making a choice.

8. Once the OOBE has completed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. This will install all drivers and updates. You will probably be told to reboot several times, do so it's important. After each reboot re-run Windows Update again until no more updates are found.

That's it! Now you have the most reliable and stable Windows platform you can get. Make sure that it's running well before you try installing other software and/or games. Each time you install some new software or a game test it to be sure that it's still running well.

If you still get problems after this clean reinstall you should phone PCS because it's likely a hardware problem.

Edir: Darn! Beaten to it by Oussebon

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah i have the 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) .

I have put in the request, ive noticed its exactly a month from today that the order was processed?
Do you know if it goes off that date or the date i actually received the computer?

Hope it gets accepted. Ill leave troubleshooting to them if so, dont want to do too much in case it affects anything.
However if i was to re-installs as explained above will it ask me for a product key because i have this with my old PCS machine i ended up having to buy windows again because it wouldnt accept the key i had...

Really thanks for the the help!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Day you received it, so you're fine afaik.

Follow the advice from @ubuysa - but you have at least got it logged in good time should an RMA become necessary.

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
Okay thank you! It wont ask me for the product key will it because like i said i had issues with this before... then i had to buy windows again.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Before with this PC...?

If you bought this PC with Windows 10, the licence key is stored digitally in the motherboard. When you install Windows, it will read it off there.

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
ahh right okay yeah forgot, it was with my previous PC because i was originally on win7 then went to win10. understand now thanks!
Might aswell give this a go while i wait for an answer from the department.

Last edited:

Tyler1999

Bronze Level Poster
That first one is potentially quite serious and probably could cause a system restart. It's a failure of the desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) but the failure has been detected in ntdll.dll which is a component of the Windows kernel - so that could well be a problem.

To do a clean reinstall do the following...

1. Backup all your user data, including bookmarks etc. All data on the system drive will be erased during a reinstall.

2. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the Windows Media Creation Tool.

3. Plug in an 8GB (min) USB stick - all data on this stick will be erased - and run the media creation tool. Tell the tool to download an ISO file for installation on another computer (don't select upgrade this computer) and point the tool at the USB stick. This will create bootable Windows installation files on the USB stick.

4. Boot that USB stick. You may need to press a Fn key to select the USB stick as a boot device or enter the BIOS setup to select the USB stick as the boot device.

5. When the stick has booted click the big Install button. Select a custom install, delete all four of the UEFI partitions on your system drive - these are named System or MSR, Recovery, EFI or Boot, Primary or Windows - they should be the only partitions on your system drive.

6. Select the 'unallocated space' that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows.

7. Once Windows is installed you will go through the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) process where you specify language, region, userids and the various telemetry settings. Take your time here and be sure you understand what each screen is telling you before making a choice.

8. Once the OOBE has completed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. This will install all drivers and updates. You will probably be told to reboot several times, do so it's important. After each reboot re-run Windows Update again until no more updates are found.

That's it! Now you have the most reliable and stable Windows platform you can get. Make sure that it's running well before you try installing other software and/or games. Each time you install some new software or a game test it to be sure that it's still running well.

If you still get problems after this clean reinstall you should phone PCS because it's likely a hardware problem.

Edir: Darn! Beaten to it by Oussebon

For my drive 0 I want to delete the partitions for recovery/ partition 2 msr and partition 1 system aswell ?

So all I have on drive 0 is unallocated space?
Sorry if I'm being dumb just don't wanna mess it up

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For my drive 0 I want to delete the partitions for recovery/ partition 2 msr and partition 1 system aswell ?

Yes, that's right, then just create a new partition using all the unallocated space and windows will configure the necessary partitions required for UEFI.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Just to be clear, delete partition 2 and partition 3 on drive zero. I would also delete partition 1 on drive 1 too (though that's not essential).

All of drive 0 will show as unallocated space, just highlight that and click the Next button....