Computer wont shut down

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys.

Minor problem with my desktop computer, i usually leave it on for long periods of time but shut it down twice now and windows appears to shut down fine, the monitors and power into standby however the fans and lights keep running. The HDD light also dimly too. I've left it about 3 minutes and ended up hard resetting it. turned it on and shut down and it was fine.

Happened again this morning again and had to hard reset, anyone got any ideas where to start with this. Only noticed it this week and nothing has changed, just a few game installed.

At a bit of a loss.

Mike

steaky360

I guess this isn't something you would recall trying when the rig was brand new out the box?

If its been doing this from the get go, then it could be hardware - if not, its likely something that's changed (most often software).

Try to start the PC from a cold, switch off the plug then start it up and once its booted up, shut it down. See if the problem occurs then. If not, start up the computer and load your most often used programs (one at a time) restarting each time until the problem reoccurs.

Long winded, but might help narrow down the problem.

I initially thought windows updates perhaps but that typically leaves the monitors on too.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Thanks for the reply man.

No its only started doing it this week, never before, so something must have changed or gone wrong.

Only seems to be if the machine has been on for longer than a day or so, i can run a few tests.

There was a windows update about a week ago, maybe that.

Could it be temperatures? Would the machine stay running if there was something too hot? Could that be a thing?

steaky360

I guess it could be due to temps, some kind of cool down system, although I've never seen it happen myself. Pretty cool if it is (but potentially worrying that your rig is getting 'that' hot)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
No theres no way it is, i've maxed out the fans on the case and my GPU's only top out at about 70 on benchmarks.

Only thing i can think would be a faulty temperature sensor. I do have a case fan connected to the CPU out port though as the mobo ran out of case fan ports but that hasn't caused any issues so far.

I can always do a full reinstall as windows is the only thing on my c:\ so i wouldn't loose anything. I'll leave that as a last resort though.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Update

Stress tested my computer last night for about an hour.

Used Heavy Load and also had Fur Mark running a stress test at the same time.
Everything seems fine i think, max temprature was about 72 on GPU 1 and 60 on GPU 2.
My SDD seemed to fill up to maximum storage but my 1TB HDD wouldn't it just kept looping.
I dont fully understand how it tests the HDD's so it might be fine.

Turned the computer off and the lights and fans stayed on for about 3 minutes. I could hear the HDD spinning. Then it turned off.

Some sites are blaming the MOBO, others the PSU. So not really sure.

Its working fine so not even sure i should even be bothered about it.

When it works it works so meh?!?!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It's just the spy cam that the CIA attached to the HDD continuing to record your activities briefly after you turn the PC off.

Thought everyone knew about them...

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Spyder,

Thanks for that i'll try it out tonight and see if anything shows up.

Yeah it is a Asus Mobo. Is this a common problem with them? I was looking at getting an MSI one to replace it but 1) iv'e only had it 3 months and 2) think its still an asus board.

Windows seems to shut right down ("seems") but guess the HDD must be doing something. Maybe i should check my asus drivers.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey Spyder,

Thanks for that i'll try it out tonight and see if anything shows up.

Yeah it is a Asus Mobo. Is this a common problem with them? I was looking at getting an MSI one to replace it but 1) iv'e only had it 3 months and 2) think its still an asus board.

Windows seems to shut right down ("seems") but guess the HDD must be doing something. Maybe i should check my asus drivers.

I was going to say, if you've got AI suite installed, just try preventing it from running at boot via the following thread (actually for AISuite2, but should be similar for 3):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1139980/how-to-disable-ai-suite-from-startup

Then try normal shutdowns.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's causing shutdown issues. I had a similar issue with my asus board until I fully uninstalled AI Suite (last resort, but often suggested)