Computex 2019 - AMD Zen2, new go to?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What's the thoughts then? I skipped through most of the keynote this morning to get to the Zen2 goodness.

Given the rumours that I had been reading I was a little disappointed not to see 5ghz but blown away with the output at the power usage. The 12 core chip is an absolute monster but the 3800x would appear to be the new go-to all rounder.

It'll be interesting to see what the reviewers can do with overclocking as if they can eek out the frequencies closer to Intel then there's not going to be any argument at all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bank Holiday weekend and I come down with some awful stomach problems, tried to watch the keynote but kept falling asleep.

A good summary here:

For me, there are 3 mainstream gaming options here: 3700x 3800x and 3600x depending on budget and if you're modding or VR etc etc.

3700x looks incredible for Micro builds with a TDP of 65W, be interesting to see how that performs under that TDP and weather there's any power limiting.

As always, wait for 3rd party reviewers for true performance comparisons, but I'm pretty hopeful, certainly at Price Point, that these are superior to any of Intels current offerings.

Interesting wrap up by Linus here:

Much the same findings from Hardware Unboxed:

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As with all the usual fudging the TDP will be at the base clock. If, like Intel and previous AMD offerings, the TDP takes a serious hit with the boost clock then it's likely to incur throttling depending on the build type. For an all out system this shouldn't be too much of an issue though. It's going to be considerably less than anything currently on the market anyway, as far as performance per watt goes at least.

Advertised TDP means nothing to me now. Everyone and their granny wants to see what sort of cooling is required at full chat, something that cannot be ascertained until reviews come out... which I think is absolutely stupid.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If their TDP figures carry any weight then I think it's a dead certainty.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
If their TDP figures carry any weight then I think it's a dead certainty.

>>Be me
>>Haven't bought a new laptop in 4 years
>>Graduated and have a good wageslave salary
>>Decide to sperg on intels consumer flagship chip in a laptop
>>Spend 2 months salary on a new laptop thinking at least when it comes to resell it will hold some of its value rather than being completely worthless
>>Two months later...
>>Security flaws negating most of its premium features
>>AMD releases new technology making it irrelevant

>>Left holding a molten peice of metal
🤪

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There's no resale value in PCs at all IMO. Not anything worth considering at least.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
There's no resale value in PCs at all IMO. Not anything worth considering at least.

I've exclusively been buying top range laptops second hand for years. That's actually how I got introduced to PCS when I bought an optimus 4 a few years ago that i got on gumtree

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm the same with all tech I buy. I get the best I can afford. I never purchase the best under the impression that there will be a viable resale value though. There almost always won't.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I think I didn't really do my thinking justice in my explanation. I wasn't under the impression tech keeps its value. I meant that a low to mid-tier laptop 5 years later will be virtually unwanted by anyone compared to a high powered one which will retain some semblance of usability 5 years down the line.