Concern Before Buying

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Carrying a 4.5 kgs laptop + 700g charging brick + accessories is certainly a challenge :) But with the right backpack and some well chosen curses it is doable :) Today´s superslim laptops trying to do the same thing as a DTR is a cause for disaster . Just look at the many threads about heating and fan issues we see even on this forum . My previous DTR which was not a PCS machine never had any issues with heating , despite being overclocked at all times . It actually came overclocked from factory :) So DTR still have usage even today I think :)

MrWhoHasNoName

So one more question.
As I was reading up on some cooling solutions, I found out that there is a thing called liquid metal thermal paste.
Does PCS offer that option, and or is it even viable for this setup?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So one more question.
As I was reading up on some cooling solutions, I found out that there is a thing called liquid metal thermal paste.
Does PCS offer that option, and or is it even viable for this setup?
Liquid metal is corrosive and conductive, so if it leaks into any of the circuitry, you'll fry the board, and if the heatsink is the wrong material, it will just eat through it.

It's not something to be used lightly and normally only found on extreme high end laptops.

It's not something PCS offer.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks guys. I did look at the 17.3recoil but it looks quite big and has 2 power bricks and I really want something i can chuck in my backpack easily as i normally travel a fair bit. There is always a compromise with every choice so i might just accept reality and save myself some money in the short term and get a desktop now and then get a cheaper laptop in a year or so to use for travelling and only do lite work on it.
You could do what my wife does - get a beefy desktop, a cheap laptop, and then use Parsec to remotely work on the laptop but using the desktop's hardware. Parsec is designed for gaming (minimal lag/high bandwidth) and works really well for remote work too: https://parsec.app/

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Oooo, bookmarked that one!
To be honest I was the one who tried it first - I was pretty unhappy with how loud my Defiance ran while gaming, so I bought a (non-PCS) desktop with the intent to Parsec into it while gaming in the room with my wife. The brand-new desktop died after 7 hours (faulty motherboard...) so I only ended up doing the Parsec thing a few hours. It worked brilliantly though, and when my wife decided she needed a better computer, I suggested the desktop+parsec route and she loves it. Best part is she can even parsec into the desktop at home while she is in the states next month, so she doesn't need to worry about transferring files to her laptop.