Conduit malware hijacked my pc :/

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hey just thought I'd warn people about this, I downloaded an alternative to Xfire (not compatible with BF4), so went to a site I've been using for donkeys years and has always been safe (not sure if I'm allowed to mention them, so sorry if not -Cnet/download.com), , so went through their own downloader and installed program, next thing i noticed was my browser had changed main page to conduit, so i tried uninstalling in programs & noticed 2 or 3 other programs I hadn't installed, so tried to uninstall but wouldnt let me do some of them! :wacko:
The short of it is I did a system restore & ran anti-malware & it seems to be gone (I hope!) but has messed up my browser so I cant access internet (something about proxy) so tonight I will be trying to fix that!

Im very upset that they have sold out, they were a very safe option before I wont use them again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Cnet have been notorious for harmful downloads for quite a while now. Hop you get your problem resolved soon.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think the problem with Cnet is that most of their "products" are packaged with a bunch of PUPs and you have to take great care when installing. I have never had a problem with anything I've installed from Cnet though, but I don't just click and hope. :)

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Thanks, does any1 know how to find proxy address as ive managed to remove malware but i cant use browsers still says something like "cant connect to proxy server"

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, does any1 know how to find proxy address as ive managed to remove malware but i cant use browsers still says something like "cant connect to proxy server"

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options and in the dialog box that opens click the Connections tab, then click the LAN Settings button. If the Proxy Server checkbox is checked (I'm guessing it will be) then uncheck it. You should normally only have the Automatically Detect Settings box checked on that dialog. This assumes you are connected to the Internet via your own router of course.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hey ubuysa, I tried this through browser settings & it didn't work, will try ur method when I get home from work, if this doesn't work can I get the proxy address/port off another pc/device that is connected and put them in manually? Or is there something else I should do?

Oh and ur right it was stupid to trust the cnet/download.com downloader, I've used them for 12+ years and it used to be 1 of the safest places, but since this problem I've seen this problem has been around for a few years, thanks for your help with this!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey ubuysa, I tried this through browser settings & it didn't work, will try ur method when I get home from work, if this doesn't work can I get the proxy address/port off another pc/device that is connected and put them in manually? Or is there something else I should do?

Oh and ur right it was stupid to trust the cnet/download.com downloader, I've used them for 12+ years and it used to be 1 of the safest places, but since this problem I've seen this problem has been around for a few years, thanks for your help with this!

If you're connected to the Internet via your own home router you're not using a proxy at all, so any proxy info that you have configured can be removed.

Boozad's link contains very good info, including the details I posted about deleting the proxy config. If you follow the instructions on there you should be clean.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Thanks boozad that's helpful!

And thanks ubuysa I managed to get back on browser with that info, I also ran adw which removed the bits in registry that malwarebytes couldn't get, i will make sure I read all info before clicking yes and remember nothing is safe!