Configurator question

DSG

No doubt very basic questions but am I correct in thinking that the Configurator limits options for a particular model based on what the motherboard and/or case size can handle (ie, as opposed to the company limiting the options based on what sort of spec/price most buyers are expected to look for)?

Specifically:

Are the Xenon 14in and Genesis III able to take an i7 Quad and a dedicated graphics card?
Can the Enigma take the GT555 card like the Optimus?
Is it possible to fit more than 8gb RAM in the Enigma and Optimus?

Finally, the Optimus shows a height of 25~40.2mm. Is that a typo or does the height vary depending on the spec?

Many thanks.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Are the Xenon 14in and Genesis III able to take an i7 Quad and a dedicated graphics card?
Can the Enigma take the GT555 card like the Optimus?
Is it possible to fit more than 8gb RAM in the Enigma and Optimus?

Our configurator does not allow these item to be added because the notebook does not accept these. We only allow you to order what will physically be compatible. :)

DSG

Ah, fair enough, I asked because the (ie, Enigma) just gives one height (34.9mm). So the Optimus is a fair bit thicker.

Cheers...

DSG

Our configurator does not allow these item to be added because the notebook does not accept these. We only allow you to order what will physically be compatible. :)
I guessed that was the reason but thanks for clarifying. I've never spec'd or built a custom machine before so it's all a bit new to me. Am I right in thinking that the limitations are due to different motherboards being used?

Cheers...

DSG

Oops...forgot to add...couldn't the Configurator be adjusted to flag an error if 2xHDDs and 1xODD are specified? I just found out in another thread that you can't have that spec in a 15.6in, but I've looked at the Configurator several times in trying to find the optimum laptop, and each time if I press 'proceed' I get the green tick.

Just a (humble) suggestion for people like me who have very little knowledge of laptop configuration.

Cheers...

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Oops...forgot to add...couldn't the Configurator be adjusted to flag an error if 2xHDDs and 1xODD are specified? I just found out in another thread that you can't have that spec in a 15.6in, but I've looked at the Configurator several times in trying to find the optimum laptop, and each time if I press 'proceed' I get the green tick.

Just a (humble) suggestion for people like me who have very little knowledge of laptop configuration.

Cheers...

The configurator does flag an error if two HDDs and one ODD is selected on any option other than the 17.3" Vortex II, which supports two hard drive by default.