Configurator wont let me have this spec with a RTX 3090

BlueFish

The configurator won't let me buy this spec with an RTX 3090 at 28cm because the card is too long with the Corsair CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler.

I want the cooler mounting at the top not the front and the max size GPU this case will take according to the official Corsair website is 33cm.

The pic below shows how I want it to be. Seems like the only option is buy it without the GPU and purchase one elsewhere and fit it myself!

If I am incorrect can someone tell me so I don't mess up here :)
680X.JPG

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 16-Core Processor i9-12900KF (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Braided Power Supply Cables
CORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro - Black
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That picture shows the case with a vertical GPU mount which is a custom piece of equipment you can add to the case. PCS don't supply these so they don't have a way to vertically mount the GPU to my knowledge

Now Vertical mounts looks great but they are horrific for temperatures and a card that runs as hot as the 3090 it will be really really difficult to keep cool in my opinion

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wonder if you're forced to front mount the radiator because the height of the RGB RAM means a top mounted rad doesn't have enough clearance. And therefore the front mount reduces the max GPU length allowed.

BlueFish

That picture shows the case with a vertical GPU mount which is a custom piece of equipment you can add to the case. PCS don't supply these so they don't have a way to vertically mount the GPU to my knowledge

Now Vertical mounts looks great but they are horrific for temperatures and a card that runs as hot as the 3090 it will be really really difficult to keep cool in my opinion
I agree dont want the vertical mount the pic was just to show the top mounted cooler. I want the card horizontal and two 120mm RGB fans below it.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wonder if you're forced to front mount the radiator because the height of the RGB RAM means a top mounted rad doesn't have enough clearance. And therefore the front mount reduces the max GPU length allowed.
This is probably the case (pardon the pun), I couldn't have my cooler top mounted in the Berserker, so once I got it I moved the fans from the cooler up into the roof, so the front case fans posh air through the rad

BlueFish

This is what I am trying to determine but this pic from the Corsair website seems to suggest there is no issue and that the same RAM I am wanting to use.

680X-2.JPG

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This is what I am trying to determine but this pic from the Corsair website seems to suggest there is no issue and that the same RAM I am wanting to use.

View attachment 34343
Different Motherboard, different cooler, different GPU, you're not comparing apples with apples.

PCS configuator probably has to account for some level of tolerance, as the size of each component will differ. E.g. heatsinks on a motherboard will vary from model to model. So it might well fit, but they have to err on side of caution. Particularly since they won't know exact GPU length until they fit it, unless you go for the named option.

BlueFish

Different Motherboard, different cooler, different GPU, you're not comparing apples with apples.

PCS configuator probably has to account for some level of tolerance, as the size of each component will differ. E.g. heatsinks on a motherboard will vary from model to model. So it might well fit, but they have to err on side of caution. Particularly since they won't know exact GPU length until they fit it, unless you go for the named option.
The configurator says the GPU is not compatible with the cooler, here is a pic of a build I just watched on YT using the same cooler, all ATX MB are the same dimensions and nothing on the ASUS MB I have selected protrudes higher than the top edge.

Ordering without GPU and at least I can choose my own brand and power.

I just hope they don't rip out the front fans and fit the 240 cooler there :)

Attachments

• 680X-3.JPG
    680X-3.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 40

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The configurator says the GPU is not compatible with the cooler, here is a pic of a build I just watched on YT using the same cooler, all ATX MB are the same dimensions and nothing on the ASUS MB I have selected protrudes higher than the top edge.
Agree, all ATX MB are the same dimensions, in terms of width and length of the board, but the height of VRAM heatsinks for example will vary.

I suspect it will all fit, but like I said PCS probably err on the side of caution given the various variables that determine if everything fits together.

BlueFish

Agree, all ATX MB are the same dimensions, in terms of width and length of the board, but the height of VRAM heatsinks for example will vary.

I suspect it will all fit, but like I said PCS probably err on the side of caution given the various variables that determine if everything fits together.
The ones in my build don't :)
1659703204466.png

BlueFish

After not being able to get a definitive answer I have deciced to change case to the Corsair 5000X and go with the H150i 360 radiator mounted in the top with three extra 120 RGB fans in the side plate. I have rearranged my gaming room to fit this case neatly. Upgrading from my existing i7 4700K and GTX1070 with 27 inch Acer Predator 1080p to this PC plus a Samsung G7 32 inch curved 1440p 240hz monitor should be noticable. Also looking forward to how premier Pro will run as on my existing rig I cant even play 4K in realtime when editing.

@IRLRobinS thanks for the persistent advice, I may have regretted it if I didn't finally listen.

Looking to be something like this but with three extra fans in side and also an RGB fan exhaust at the back.

1659945007192.png

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good stuff. I'm going to throw a spanner in works with another suggestion. PCS only offer the Corsair LL fans as additional fans. Personally I'd leave them out of the order, and order ML Elites from Corsair direct. Otherwise you'll end up with ML fans at the top, LLs on the side and SP's on the front. Better to have more consistent RGB look imo.