Considered Future Upgrades

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I think I saw a 4GB 670 when I was checking before on eBay. Think they were below £300 (each) from top rated retail sellers.

You won't be able mix a 4gb and 2gb version of the gtx 670, from looking at benchmarks the difference at high resolution is almost negligible ( a couple of fps)

sted

Rising Star
Oh, yeah I forgot about that. I tried to look up about 2GB vs 4GB and seems I found the same, or at least similar. A couple of sites also said the performance of a 670 simply isn't good enough to make proper use of the 4GB Vram, I think the main problem was its speed in the case of that - so it seems I wouldn't be getting much of a difference as you pointed out.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Not only the gtx 670 but the whole 600 series and probably the 700 series. I think that is why you don't see many/any comparisons between the gtx 770 2gb and 4gb.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Not only the gtx 670 but the whole 600 series and probably the 700 series. I think that is why you don't see many/any comparisons between the gtx 770 2gb and 4gb.

yeah its a bit of marketting scam, to make out that you "Need" to have higher vram versions for multi screens.

Keynes, when you game over three screens what memory usage do you generally have?

steaky360

Less than 2gb always.

Is that not because you've only got the 2Gb graphics cards though? You physically couldn't have higher than 2Gb usage? Also, is that when gaming in 3D too?

I do understand for most games you won't need more than 2Gb vram but I have seen it suggested that more will be better if running lots of high def stuff, and especially if this 4K monitor stuff kicks off you'll likely need more than the 2Gb vram typical per card.

Just for now, gaming over 5760 x 1080 (or something similar) I'd doubt you'll use more than 2Gb often, especially if only gaming in 2D.

sted

Rising Star
It'll likely be a long way off, if ever, that I get 3D. It holds none of my interest, personally. So seems I may be safe for now!